This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

During the middle of my senior year in college, I had a plan of how my life would pan out post-graduation, which I think most people can relate to. In this plan, I would graduate December 2016, take a semester off so that I could work and save money, then start medical school in the fall of 2017. However, things did not go my way which I’m sure happens to a large portion of young adults; I did in fact graduate as planned, but I learned that medical school was not meant for me at this very moment in life. Instead, I’m in one class, so I’m not in Graduate School, but I’ve already got a Bachelor’s Degree, so basically I’m in what I like to call Academic Limbo.

The correct term is Post-Baccalaureate, but that phrase isn’t common so it tends to warrant odd looks. Most of the questions begin with ‘what’s your classification?’ or ‘when do you graduate?’ and then they evolve into something a little harsher once I begin to explain my classification like ‘why are you still here?’ or my favorite comment “wow you’re kind of old.’ That’s like exclaiming to a 6 foot 6 guy, ‘wow, you’re tall;’ it’s obvious and a little redundant.   

Despite derailed plans, a new path emerged that will still help me reach my ultimate goal. It is very cliché, but “when one door closes, another one opens,” and I experienced this first hand. At graduation, I ran into two of my favorite professors who suggested I work towards a Master’s degree. At first I had never considered this step, but when they invited me to not only enter the program for the fall, but also work as a Graduate Assistant, I was thrilled with the possibilities this could offer me. In addition to beefing up my application in the future for medical school, I’ll also be working in a field that I’m passionate about.

I’ve learned that it’s both okay to have everything planned out for your future, and also okay if you do not. What really matters is that with each and every step forward we take on both the success and adversity with pride, resilience and courage to not just accept the challenges but to work hard until the ultimate goal is met. Originally I thought I faced a setback, but I’m beginning to see that it’s just an alternative route that I’ll take to meet my goal, and each of these experiences are going to shape me into the person I’m destined to be, whether I plan it or not.

Brittny is a Graduate Student of Stephen F. Austin, with a passion for the sciences and medicine. You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum-wage work ethic.
Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.