This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

There comes a time in everyone’s life in which you go through your phone contact list and realize that you don’t know a lot of people on there. At first glance you say, “No, I have to keep this persons number in case.” . . . In case what? 

Exactly! You haven’t spoken to that person in three years. And yes, you do go through a little stage of denial. And maybe reminisce on that time you and so and so went to McDonalds together and bonded over how much you disliked the most popular movie at the time. But let’s face it— people have problems letting go. Even if it’s just a phone number, it can be hard to let go. 

I sat there on my bed for 30 minutes thinking: Wow, I am going to have to delete everyone in my contact list. 

It didn’t end up happening; I have important contacts like mom and dad. But seriously, it was odd having to sit and delete people you once shared memories with. It’s like for a second, you wonder if they too felt the pain of the connection being cut off for all eternity. Or did they delete you about a year and a half ago? I guess no one will ever know. 

For a split second you wonder: What if they decide to see how I’m doing but they’ve already been deleted? How rude of me to hit them with the, “New phone, who is this?” saying, because clearly that is a slap in the face. We both know no one got a new phone— they have just been deleted. And then you feel guilty for deleting that person in the first place, or even worse, if you are on the other side of the spectrum and you have been the deleted. 

It’s the worst feeling in the world having someone tell you they have a new number. “Who is this?” We both know you did not get a new number, so for the sake of our relationship just tell me why you deleted me. Why did I delete you? Why does anyone delete anyone off of his or her contact list? 

Here is why. Let me tell you why. 

It is because we have drifted, and you are no longer a part of the memories I am currently making. Maybe once you were a part of my life and the memories, and don’t get me wrong, I’ll cherish those memories. But you aren’t a part of my life anymore. If I am not able to call you and tell you about my day without it being completely weird, then you must be deleted off of the contact list. 

It is hard to let go sometimes, that’s for sure, but it’s necessary. So, make room for new contacts because we are all young here; we have room for more. Unless your storage is full and a pop-up keeps saying you have to manage your settings. If that is the case, good luck, because that pop-up will almost never disappear! 

Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.