Decompressin’ from Stressin’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As college has been going on for weeks and months–students everywhere are starting to feel the pressure. The 5-page paper you have to write feels like a break from all the six-page study reviews and 4 a.m. study sessions you just had for midterms. After a long and busy start of the semester, relaxing seems like a futile task that will never be achieved again. However, there is still hope for a day or afternoon of relaxation bliss. Living in a nice and lazy town, like Nacogdoches, will allow you to have plenty of time and space to take some time for yourself.

Photo by Hannah Wallace

1)    Take A Walk

Have you been outside lately? It may be a mixture of freezing and humid, but most days it is quite beautiful and a nice mixture of cold and warm, perfect for a walk around. Bring a friend, or just take yourself out and explore the town that we all live in that’s just filled with life and possibilities.

2)    Get Your Nails Done

There are nail salons all around Nacogdoches, but if you are living that #brokecollegekid life a DIY nail recovery is not hard to accomplish at all. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and Pinterest, but even just soaking and trimming your nails can help. Top it off with a fresh polish and you are set to go. Or cut out the polish part, because who really has time to keep up with that, am I right?

3)    Organize a Movie Night

If you or a friend has a TV and DVD player combo in your room, you are halfway to a fun movie night. All you need is some friends, popcorn, and a few movies everyone loves. With the holidays coming up, it is already the perfect time to whip out the Christmas classics like A Christmas Story and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. Regardless of the movie, just make sure you’re around friends who will help you relax.

4)    Pet Some Puppies

It is scientifically proven that playing with dogs helps reduce stress by increasing the production of a hormone called oxytocin, and also decreases the production of the hormone cortisol (which causes stress). Not only will it benefit you, but by volunteering at one of the shelters in Nac, you get a chance to show some adorable dogs and cats the love and attention that staffers may not always be able to give them. A quick google search can give you countless opportunities to help out, and you may even bring home a new best friend.

5)    Plan Out Your Week

This may sound like it would stress you out, but actually sitting down and making a plan for yourself will benefit you in the long run. By knowing everything you have to do and planning out a schedule to keep, you eliminate getting stress at the source. Feeling stressed comes from having too much to do, but when you schedule out all you have to do the stress doesn’t exist because you have a schedule to make sure everything is done in a neat and orderly manner.

Controlling stress may seem impossible and sometimes it may be impossible, yet everyone deserves to let themselves relax a little bit. Destressing is as good for your physical health as it is for your mental health by protecting your body against highs blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity. So allow yourself to take time out of your busy schedule to take care of yourself and I promise your body will thank you.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.