rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Tips to Help You Calm Down During a Panic Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Many of us know the feeling: heartbeat increasing, tensing from your toes slowly up to your head, breathing getting shorter and faster – you’re having a panic attack. Sometimes life can be very overwhelming and cause us to break down. When this happens, it can be really hard to recover, so here are some tips that can help you relax in spite of freaking out. 

1. Be sure to breathe

When a panic attack chooses to creep up on you, one of the most telling signs is shortness of breath, so making sure to breathe is essential. Taking 10 clear, steady, deep breaths helps calm your heartrate, breathing rate, and can help calm you if you’re crying or really short of breath. Once you take 10 full breaths, it’s a lot easier to think and calm down in order to regain control of your mind. 

2. Tell yourself a story 

A lot of times when you’re having a panic attack, it’s because of anxiety about one thing or everything all at once. Telling yourself a story or trying to create a simple narrative like kids do can be a way to get your mind off of what is bothering you or a way to focus on one simple and lighthearted thing, both of which can distract you enough to let the anxiety melt away. 

3. Listen to music 

One of the best things about music is that it can change your mood. Nearly everyone has music they listen to when they want to relieve stress. Sometimes the lyrics can make you feel less alone and sad, so this can be a way to calm down to focus on the music and not on what is stressing you out. Plus, music is scientifically proven to release endorphins, so listen to some tunes, it’s science!

Photo courtesy of LaShauna Bell

4. Watch a light-hearted show

When I’m having panic attacks, one of my favorite things to watch is “Friends” because it’s not serious and it always makes me smile. Watching something funny or sometimes just plain stupid can help because it takes your mind off of something heavy and puts it on something fun!

5. Find someone to talk to

Sometimes being by yourself can only make the situation worse because it can be hard to get out of your own head. Finding someone you can talk to in complete confidence and has the patience to talk you through it when you’re really freaking out. Don’t feel bad about talking to someone, they won’t think you’re weak and they would much rather make sure you’re okay than something bad happen to you, so go ahead and make the call. 

6. Color

Coloring is really fun anyway, you never really need a reason, but it really helps during panic attacks because it calms you down (here’s that science thing again) and you get a really pretty picture to look at forever afterwards, so it’s a win-win!

Photo courtesy of LaShauna Bell

7. Stay hydrated

This is especially important if you cry during panic attacks, because you can get dehydrated. which can also give you a headache. Drinking water when anxiety strikes can help take care of yourself physically as well as mentally. 

8. Take time to get in bed and relax

This is more for when most of the anxiety has dissipated, but even during a panic attack, lying in bed and attempting to clear your head is really important and can help you relax a little. Also, after a panic attack, this can help you focus on staying relaxed so that it doesn’t creep back up on you again.

9. Don’t Talk Down on Yourself

This is one of the most important tips on the list. When the world gets really hard and everything seems to be crashing down, don’t get down on yourself. There are so many people in this world that will talk down on you, you don’t need to do it to youself, too. You have to live with yourself every day and you are going to help yourself through these panic attacks and beating yourself up can only make you feel worse. Love yourself!

No matter who you are or what you’re going through, everyone is susceptible to panic attacks. Keeping yourself calm can be a really daunting task, but these tips can definitely help. Remember, love yourself, breathe, and know that you can do this. Take care of yourself, you matter!

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.