These Adorable Manatees are Real-Life Mermaids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Look, I know that unicorns are the current magical creature du jour, having inspired everything from makeup palettes to frappuccinos, but I think it’s time for another fictional being take its place in the sun. Over the past week, I have been totally obsessed with the #MerMay hashtag over on Instagram, which was created by animator Tom Bancroft and encourages artists to draw and post a new picture of a mermaid for every day in the month of May. It’s a ton of fun to see all of the fun and wondrous artwork that comes out of this challenge, and I’m consistently blown away by the sheer skill of the artists who choose to participate. In light of that, I thought it might be fun to show off the real world’s closest equivalent to mermaids—manatees. No matter how stressed you are during finals, these adorable, roly-poly mammals are sure to put a big smile on your face.

There, now. Don’t you feel better? Good luck on your finals, everyone!

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.