samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kappa Delta’s Shamrock Lecture for Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

On Tuesday, February 18th, Kappa Delta sorority hosted communications specialist Mary Margaret Brown from Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee (PCAT) for an information session about the invaluable work that PCAT does for many families and children across the state. Mary Margaret (MM) is a recent graduate of Georgia Southern University (where country singer Luke Bryan also went, as MM happily pointed out!), and currently resides in Nashville, where PCAT is head-quartered.

The main goal of PCAT is to start prevention before the abuse happens. All of their programs operate under an “umbrella of prevention,” which supplies various forms of aid to families depending on their level of need. During her talk, MM showed a heart-touching video titled “Change the First Five Years and You Can Change Everything,” emphasizing the many cases of hungry, neglected, and uncared for children, whose lives can be altered by many of the aid projects PCAT offers. Children who experience abuse are 30% more likely to never go to college, and 70% more likely to engage in criminal activity. As MM emphasized, PCAT’s work with many families is invaluable, making every donation, volunteer effort, and contribution priceless.

PCAT’s Preventative Measures and Stewards of Children programs, Parenting Classes, and Domestic Violence/Parent Hotline are just a few of the programs that PCAT offers to help families become stronger and overcome the possibilities and realities of child abuse. For those interested in getting involved with the effort to prevent child abuse, PCAT and Prevent Child Abuse America offer many different internships that cater to almost every major field of study. Other involvement opportunities include volunteering, adopting a family, and fundraising. In support of PCAT’s efforts, Kappa Delta will be hosting their 4th Annual Shamrock Pancake Supper on Saturday, March 8th from 5:00p.m. to 8:00p.m. Tickets will be sold in McClurg Dining Hall from March 3rd to the 7th at noon – tickets are $3.00 and $5.00 at the door. Come out and support Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee and enjoy endless pancakes and toppings, as well as surprise guest pancake flippers! For more information about PCAT feel free to contact Mary Margaret Brown at marymargaret.brown@pcat.org