Get Back into the Swing of Things: 7 Tips to own the new Semester.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

You did it! Congratulations, you made it through your (almost) first full week of the new semester! Feeling a bit, overwhelmed already? Here are some tips to help the transition period from winter break to 5 days a week classes a little less scary. And hopefully leaving you with a little more inspiration!

1. Write everything down.

With syllabus week officially over, it’s time to fill those dates in your planner. Planning ahead and having everything in one space really helps you mentally plan out your weeks. It’s been said before and I’ll say it here: writing helps you remember it.

Photo credit” @Roseryapparel

2. Keep inspiration flowing.

Often times coming back to school after a long break can be hard and totally unmotivating. It’s important to always give yourself an outlet to fuel your creative inklings. Whether that be crafting an inspiration board of inspiring quotes, perfecting spotify playlists, pinteresting until the sun goes down, or receiving creative advice in books. There are plenty of options to keep in touch with your creative side.

Photo credit: @emilyalyssaphotography

3. Rest.

This is easier said than done, but starting a healthy sleep cycle at the beginning of the semester will help you ease back into the routine of 8 a.m. classes and start the day refreshed and awake ready to take on the day. If you have trouble hitting the hay (like me) and end up looking at your phone for hours, options like aromatherapy might be a beneficial investment. Or sometimes even reading before bed gets the mind ready to slow down.  

Photo credit: Pinterest

4. Prioritize your time.

I feel like everyone here at Sewanee is extremely involved within Campus extracurriculars. Greek life to sports to social events, we’re certainly busy bees. It’s important in the new year to not try to load everything on yourself at once. Make it a priority to not only space out your curriculars and schoolwork, but as well leave time for yourself.

Photo credit: Darling Magazine

5. Food Cycle

I’m guilty of being one of those people who pretty much only consume french fries at clurg and constitute it as a meal. After a whole month of late night snacking and home cooked family meals it’s vital to stick with three meals a day. Spreading your calorie intake across the span of a day will be a healthier option physically and mentally.

Photo credit: Pinterest

6. Prep and Pamper.

Skincare is something I think that is highly underrated. Even though we are fresh faced and young, starting and ending every day (especially after a stressful one) refreshing your face is soothing to on your face to get rid of all the oils and dirt. My current favorites are Mario Badescu Seaweed night cream and good ole fashioned witch hazel.

Photo credit: @esteelalonde

7. Workout routine.

I know, sometimes a walk to Fowler, or even leaving your bed for that matter, is too much effort. If the trek to Fowler or swarms of students (hello, fellow introverts!) is just something you don’t feel like dealing with, then try to integrate exercise into your routine in other ways. Apps like S’workit and millions of youtube fitness channels make it easy to stay in shape. Just grab yourself a yoga mat and your favorite sports bra and you’re halfway there. And hey, if your exercise includes lifting potato chips to your mouth, then go for it!

Photo credit: Pinterest

Jennie is a Sophomore from Williamsburg, Virginia. she's fond of classic films, Jane Austen, bulldogs, and dressing up. She considers Audrey Hepburn and her mom to be her biggest role models.