Campus Spotlight: Sallie Carter and the Craft House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Sallie Carter, the president of the Craft House, is a senior at Sewanee and a Classics major. She created the club as an alternative activity to Greek life and parties. The club hosts sober events, open to all, where people can come, learn a new skill, eat good snacks, and talk to people they may not have met otherwise. The club also collaborates with other clubs for fun events and even has a scarf-making charity event.

Why did you choose Sewanee?

I waited until the last day to decide whether I would be attending Sewanee or Rhodes. I ultimately chose Sewanee because of the faculty in the subject I was hoping to major in (Classics).

So you’re the president of the craft club, what kind of crafts do you do?

I personally do all sorts of crafts – possibly too many. Sewing, crochet, knitting, beading, chainmail jewelry, embroidery, and silhouettes are my main interests right now, but I’ll try anything I come across if I like the way the end product looks.

Seahorse Silhouette

What are your goals for the craft club this year?

I’m hoping to expand the Craft Club’s reach a little this year, and to partner with more organizations. We’ve already started accomplishing some of this, partnering with AASEANS and Japan Addicts to host the Moon Festival, and with HOLA for an upcoming Day of the Dead event. I’d also like our charity event – making scarves for donation to local shelters – to grow a little this year.

What kind of impact do you think you have had on Sewanee?

I think what I’m happiest about is creating a place on campus for people who aren’t comfortable in more mainstream social events, or otherwise might not go out at all, and a place where you can come learn something you find super cool and perhaps thought you couldn’t do. That’s really why I started the Craft House/Club. Looking around at myself and my friends, it was very obvious that if you’re not interested in parties or the Greek system, you’re pretty much out of luck on social events. So we organized our own and built a club and house on this need for non-Greek.. anything, and “crafts” was the natural answer for a theme. We each had at least one “thing” we did anyway, and whether you think of yourself as a “crafter” or not, it’s hard to find someone who’s not excited to have just learned a new skill and used it to make something tangible. Crafting (and cooking/baking – the unofficial secondary theme of the Craft House) naturally brings people together, whether to learn from others, share what you’ve made, or just chat while you’re working.

What events are planned for this year?

Our first event was “Inappropriate Embroidery.” Embroidery is an old medium that many people are impressed by but probably not interested in enough to try – until you start embroidering pop lyrics and swear words. Our next tutorial will be silhouette making/paper cutting  in October. Ideas for the rest of the year include bookbinding, sewing, a jewelry-making night, wood working/burning, a potential fieldtrip for a blacksmithing class, and more. We’ll also have several special events throughout the year, like our Witch-craft House Halloween party, November scarf-making for charity, craft fairs, studio tours, and several others. Our first craft fair is coming up in October for anyone who would like to participate!

Mellie is a sophomore Chemistry major and Spanish minor from Alabama. She loves crafts and trees and her spirit animal is a goat.