Campus Cutie: Olivia Larussa C’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Get to know Our Cutie!

Name: Olivia LaRussa

Class: Sophomore

Greek Organization: PKE

Hometown: Birmingham, AL

Major: History

Relationship status: Single, but deeply in love

Extracurricular Activities: Catechumenate, Well-Directed Curiosity, and I would like to think I am on a sports team, but that is not the case at all

Best Class You’ve taken at Sewanee: History of Russia with Professor Goldberg

Signature Pub Order: Pancakes! Nom, Nom

Signature Dance Move: “Someone come swing dance with me!”

Most Attractive Qualities in a Boy/Girl: Funny, caring, honest, and gentle

Spirit Animal: Otter

Most embarrassing Sewanee story: During my Freshman year, I was wearing a big scarf at KA. There were older guys playing  beer pong when suddenly, their beer pong ball landed in my scarf. They began calling after me, and when they came over to get it from me I thought they were trying  to ask me to dance. I was like,  “Oh hey! Oh… not the case? Nope, bye.”

Reasons Why We Love Her:

What is it like going to the same college as your sister? How has it affected your Sewanee Experience?

Going to the same college as my sister is so much fun! She always helps me with Biology and pulling off  any sort of shenanigans or pranks. In fact, my favorite Friday nights are the ones where she thinks she’s in charge of closing ATO. I also would have tanked a few Freshman English essays without her editing expertise. Having her with me definitely made the challenges of Freshman year easier to face, which I will always be thankful for. Honestly,  I cannot imagine Sewanee any other way. Next year will be so weird without her.

Seeing that your doppelganger is Hermione Granger and you basically go to college at Hogwarts, what is the most magical adventure you’ve gone on with your friends at Sewanee?

The most magical adventure would be squeezing up the ladder to the roof of Walsh Ellot in order to look at the stars. I know it sounds mushy, but that was probably the prettiest site I have seen at Sewanee, which is saying a lot, because I love sunsets at Morgan’s Steep and a walk to Green’s View. A close contender would be night canoeing with the SOP; that adventure was pretty magical too.

What is on your Sewanee Bucket List?

Hmmm… I plan to hike the Perimeter Trail, go on the Haiti outreach trip, and enjoy a sunset picnic at Morgan’s Steep. I also would really like to go deer hunting, but I am not sure if that is a Sewanee thing. 

M R

Sewanee '00

n/a