Sorority Spotlight: Alpha Sigma Tau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Thinking about going through formal recruitment? Want to learn more about each sorority? The Presidents of each organization took time to answer some questions about their sorority to give you an sneak peak into their sorority.

How would you describe the typical AST sorority woman?

I think what makes our sorority great is that there’s no “typical” member. We’re all unique and don’t fit just one box! But we all share our passion for AST and we strive to excell in everything we do. Our passion brings us together. Overall we’re just unique women who want to be the best version of ourselves and want to achieve that together!

What is your best memory in your sorority?

My best memory in AST is definitely a tie between getting my big sister and winning sorority of the year last year. Getting my big was life changing because me and my big, Hannah, clicked from the moment I met her. I knew she was someone I needed in my life. I’m the oldest in my family so I’ve always wanted an older sibling to look up to. She is one of the smartest, funniest, and courageous people I’ve ever met, and I’m so glad I have her in my life! I honestly don’t know what I would do without her. And winning sorority of the year was just a dream come true – we truly put in so much work and it was so great to be recognized for the great things we accomplished last year as a chapter!

What are your favorite AST activities?

My favorite AST activities are definitely our philanthropic events. Not only do we all get to hang out and enjoy our time with one another, but we get to do something for the greater good of our community! The experience honesty can’t be beat.

How is your chapter different from others on campus?

I think our chapter is different from the other sororities on campus because we are so diverse. When you look at all of our sisters, we don’t fit just one type of woman. We all have different backgrounds and it truly is one of our biggest strengths. I’m proud to say that we are as diverse as we are because it allows us to learn so much and have so many different perspectives! I think diversity anywhere is so important because it allows for open-minded, respectful individuals. And that’s the reality of the “real world” – you need to be able to work with all different kinds of people! I think our diversity is one of our most valuable traits and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. 

What is your philanthropy? What are some events that you do to raise money and awareness for your philanthropy?

Our philanthropy is the Women’s Wellness Initiative! Under women’s wellness there are six dimensions – social, intellectual, spiritual, emotional, occupational, and physical. It’s really broad, but there are so many possibilities which allows us to contribute to so many different organizations or movements that any of our sisters are particularly passionate about. Nationally, we’re partnered with Dress for Success which fulfills the occupational dimension. Dress for Success empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. That’s where the money we raised at our biggest philanthropy event of the year, Rockathon went towards! It’s a huge rock concert that has student performers like bands, dance teams, acappella groups, solo artists, etc. with food, raffles, and more. We raised just about $2,000 in one night which doubled last year’s fundraising! Last semester we also adopted a new local philanthropy. The Sierra House, located in East Orange, is a residential program that provides housing to young women and helps them transition to self-sufficiency. We found that their mission tied really closely to our own, so it was a perfect fit! We started our relationship with them by hand making enough blankets for all of the women and children in the house, then delivering them in person. It’s something that we’ll never forget!

What would be your advice for a PNM going through recruitment?

My advice for any PNM going through formal recruitment is to be open-minded during the process. Anyone who has gone through the process themselves knows how easy it is to listen to your friends and have it influence your decisions! But what might be the best for one person may not be the same for you…and that’s okay! Each sorority is different and has something different to offer, but we’re all equally amazing. The more open-minded you are, the better your experience. And overall I say just be confident in who you are because there’s no need to try too hard to impress. Being genuine is the best thing you can be! 

What is the biggest misconception you’d like to address about being a sorority woman?

I think the biggest misconception about being in a sorority is that only one word defines who we are. The media and those who judge Greek life want to write us off as “partiers”, “paying for friends”, “ditzy”, etc. but the truth is none of these labels fit. Sororities are built to empower women, to contribute something to the greater good, and to continue personal growth. It’s so much more than the cute tshirts and Instagrammable moments. The truth is that I wouldn’t be where I am today without the loving support of the women I’ve met and the organization who instilled in me the confidence I’ve always been looking for and I know that my sisters can say the same!

How did you know AST was right for you?

I knew AST was right for me right from the beginning. I really can’t explain it to you other than a gut feeling. The moment I met a few sisters I could tell that this is where I belonged. They were the most genuine people I’ve ever met and I could talk to them so easily. I didn’t have to put on an act or pretend to be someone I’m not…I was so comfortable! And hearing how everyone truly felt about one another and the organization was something I wanted to be a part of. And I just so happened to have the honor to join! I’m so happy and lucky I get to say that AST is where I get to call my forever home. 

Instagram: @ast_setonhall

Twitter: @ast_setonhall

Website: shu.alphasigmatau.org

Sign up for Formal Recruitment (Feb. 1st – 4th) here

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.