Sorority Spotlight: Alpha Omicron Pi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Thinking about going through formal recruitment? Want to learn more about each sorority? The Presidents of each organization took time to answer some questions about their sorority to give you a sneak peak into their sorority.

How would you describe the typical AOII sorority woman?

AOII women are genuine, welcoming leaders on campus and in the world. We are using social skills, work experience and leadership experience to broaden everyone’s horizons to prepare them for the real world. Through many philanthropic and sisterhood events we bond and showcase our appreciation for each other while also raising money for our National Philanthropy of the Arthritis Foundation

What is your best memory in your sorority?

My best memory in AOII was when we held our annual Spike Out Arthritis volleyball tournament, and we had many teams signed up but we also had an AOII Dad’s team and my dad was on it! It was a cool way to help show my family a great side of AOII while also bonding with my friends and bringing the good humor of having a dad’s team to a college volleyball charity tournament! They ended up losing in the finals but every team was excited to play against them and they were fantastic players and are looking forward to practicing more for next year’s tournament!

What are your favorite AOII activities?

My favorite AOII activities are our sisterhood events, where we try to get a lot of activities together during the year to bond us and we had some great ones over my time in AOII! These included Monster Mini Golf, going into the city, the movies, and gym sisterhoods. We have also done large scale retreats such as a day trip to the Zoo and camping the year before. These are done with everyone in the chapter so it is a wonderful opportunity to be close with the girls that we might not have gotten a chance to be close with yet!

How is your chapter different from others on campus?

If I were to think of AOII from an outsiders perspective I would think we are an earnest and bonded group of women. We are always there for each other when someone is in need and we support each other at our AOII events and outside of them as well. One instance I can think of is our sister, Laura, is the social chair of the Dance Team for Seton Hall and she had a recital, she reached out to our sorority for support and many sisters went out to show her our love and support from the audience. That is a bright memory for Laura and us as well.

What is your philanthropy? What are some events that you do to raise money and awareness for your philanthropy?

Our philanthropy is our sorority’s national philanthropy, the Arthritis Foundation and as a national organization AOII has donated 80% of the philanthropic contribution to Arthritis Research and we are happy to be a contributor. Our Spike Out event consistently raises just over $1000 each year and we are looking to add another event in the spring to raise even more!

What would be your advice for a PNM going through recruitment?

Home is the place & people you come back to after a long day, a safe spot to be unapologetically yourself and create meaningful bonds with those who share the same roof. While going through rounds, don’t be hesitant to redefine what you are looking for and expect out of your next four years as a Greek woman – as homes occasionally require a renovation. Sustain the foundation you have built by remaining true to yourself & your values.

Check off your Wishlist: do I enjoy spending my time here? Can I successfully grow in this atmosphere I’ve walked into? Do I connect with these women I meet? Does this feel like home?

You will find yourself at the doorstep of where you are meant to be as long as you make it an honest journey!

What is the biggest misconception you’d like to address about being a sorority woman?

I think the biggest misconception of being a sorority woman is the commitment of it. I think people join because they think it is all about hazing and drinking with fraternity men but the goals of our sisterhood are quite the opposite! Many join to make more friends through your sisters and friends of sisters in other organizations as well as having an opportunity to have leadership within our school’s campus and make an impact on the lives of our peers. Our commitment is not to what typically people think it is but rather to ensure our women are pursing their academics, giving help for internships, practicing time management, and understanding the meaning of the pillars our organization was founded on. AOII’s four pillars are Character, Dignity, Scholarship, and College Loyalty and I believe these four ideas are truly the foundation of our organization.

How did you know AOII was right for you?

I knew AOII was right for me when I was meeting them at a Meet the Greeks opportunity before recruitment started. The women from this organization were so genuine and the conversations didn’t seem forced or insincere but rather they were truly interested in what I was saying. It was a true conversation instead of just one of us talking and the other “okay”-ing. I felt like they were the table I kept wanting to go back to and that’s when I knew AOII was for me. However when going through recruitment I kept an open mind, talking with all the organizations, taking their presentations into consideration. But also for the reason that we are a Greek Life community so just because I would love to join AOII doesn’t mean I shouldn’t look to be friendly and enthusiastic with the other 5 organizations because I knew it wouldn’t be the last time I saw them. Finding AOII truly changed my college experience and therefore the rest of my life and I cannot thank this organization enough for all the experiences and memories.

Instagram: @aoiisetonhall

Twitter: @aoiisetonhall

Website: shu.alphaomicronpi.org

Sign up for Formal Recruitment (Feb. 1st – 4th) here!

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.