This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Therese Floyd, a 2008 alumna from Seton Hall University’s College of Nursing.  A Jersey girl born and raised, Therese has fully embraced and lived out Seton Hall’s call to service, and community outreach.  After graduating from nursing school, she moved to Tegucigalpa, Honduras for a year to serve the sick and poor through medical mission work.  Her desire to serve has also led her to do mission work in Mexico, Nicaragua, and Nigeria.  Therese returned to Seton Hall in 2013 to begin her Masters in Nursing, Pediatric Nurse Practioner.  She currently works as a pediatric nurse at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital in Paterson, N.J.  Therese will soon be honored by the Seton Hall College of Nursing at the 2015 Margaret C. Haley Awards, where she will receive the Nelson Aquino Humanitarian Award.

Catching this busy alumna for an interview was no easy task! Luckily, Her Campus got in touch with her right as she was leaving her shift at the hospital!

Her Campus (HC): How do you look back on your time as a Seton Hall undergrad?    

Therese Floyd (TF): It was an amazing four years where I experienced growth as a student and in learning to be a nurse, but I also experienced personal growth, focusing on who I was and what I wanted to do.

HC: How has Seton Hall shaped you into the nurse that you are/ strive to be?

TF: Seton Hall’s philosophy of servant leadership is integrated into the classes, clinicals and professors of the nursing program where the idea to lead is to be a servant. In a profession where you lead by example, learning how to be a servant to the patients is the foundation to becoming a successful nurse.

HC: What was one of your favorite nursing classes?

TF: Culture and Health, which is funny seeing as I moved to Honduras after graduation.

HC: In your own words, what is a nurse?

TF: A nurse is someone who sees the whole of a person. They see that a person is not just a patient number. A nurse makes it his or her job to be an advocate for the patient, and bring them to a place of healing and a place of peace.

HC: Any words of encouragement for the current nursing students?

TF: You can do it! It is all worth it. It will be the four hardest years of your life, but when you have finally reached the hospital, and you have your first patient, you will never regret the number of hours you spent studying.

Nicole Floyd

Seton Hall

Nicole is a Sociology and Catholic Studies double major at Seton Hall, and she is also a member of the school's Honors Program. When she is not studying or writing papers in the library (aka procrastinating), she can be found scouting cuties in the caf, binge watching Netflix (Bones & Friends being the most recent victims), drinking copious amounts of coffee, and laughing uncontrollably for no apparent reason. Down the road, Nicole would like to conduct research and create documentaries exposing a variety of societal issues that have yet to be addressed in order to make better the lives of those around her, and she will do so with her faithful cup of coffee in hand.
Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.