7 Things to Do When You’re Taking a Break From Studying for Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Midterm season has blessed us with it’s disgusting presence again this year. Here are some tips and tricks to avoid stressing yourself out too much.

1. Take a nap

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, taking a nap is a tried and true way of rebooting your brain and shaking off those cram session jitters. It also helps bridge the gap between your normal sleep schedule and the almost inevitable lack of sleep you’re probably getting.

2. Watch a few episodes of a sitcom

The Office, Parks and Rec, and Brooklyn 99  will help boost your mood and take your mind off of that topic that’s been giving you grief for the last two hours. Maybe when you tune back into your notes the reboot time will help you understand the material better.

3. Color

The market for stress-relieving coloring books is thriving. It’s a proven effective way to put your mind at ease, and if not, at least you’ve got a cool picture to hang somewhere.

4. Listen to some music

Your favorite playlist will help you break out of your spiral and reboot your brain momentarily. Put some songs to sing along to for an added bonus! (I recommend Thnks Fr Th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy)

5. Take a shower or bath.

An anxious spiral can be broken out of if you reboot your brain- getting yourself clean and smelling fresh after being holed up in the library for countless hours is a great way to remind yourself to take care of your body before you take care of your grades. For an added treat, a bath bomb is a great way to use aromatherapy to its fullest extent.

6. Do a face mask

If you really don’t have the time to take a shower or bath, at least treat your tired skin to a little bit of hydration with a face mask. Here is a cheap option for getting rid of those bags under your eyes.

7. Make a list

This might sound counter-intuitive, but make a list of everything that you have to do. This way, you can check things off of the list and give yourself a sense of finality to help eliminate some of the dread of never finishing build up in your brain. You can also make a list of things that you love, like Craig from Parks and Rec. Being reminded of puppies, fresh baked cookies, and waking up from a good nap will help boost your mood.

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.