11 Stages You Go Through During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the last couple days, or have been in stubborn denial, finals week is finally here. The only thing exciting about finals is that it means you’re finished with all your classes and you’re that much closer to break. But before we can really embrace summer vacation, we have to get through all those tests and papers first. Here are some stages we all go through when it comes to finals week:

1. Denial

Finals are so far away! At first it’s April and you still have a month before assignments are due and finals start. And then it’s the first week away and that’s not a big deal. You still have a week or so before finals. Sorry to break it to you but you’re in denial. Finals are so much closer than you think, so you should definitely start figure what time your finals start. 

2. Dedicated Studying

Congrats! You’re out of denial and super aware of how close finals are. You’re highlighting all the important stuff, going over all the notes you took in class (or borrowed from the one student who actually takes notes in class), and reading the Spark Notes for all the books you were supposed to read for the semester. You’re gonna study and study until you can’t study anymore. 

3. Procrastination

All that studying has led to the need for a break. A 3 day break. Full of watching Netflix, and eating junk food. Also known as procrastination.

4. The wrong kind of motivation.

You’re finally motivated to do something! Too bad you’re actually motivated to clean your room/bed/desk instead of actually studying. On the plus side, your room has never been more neat and organized in your life. 

5. Motivation:The Right Kind

Now that you can finally see the floor in your room, you’re ready to STUDY. You can write that 10 page paper, or study for that Calculus final in two days. YOU GOT THIS!

6. Panic

Yea… Maybe you don’t got this. When did you guys go over ALL this information? Who thought it was a good idea to make finals cumulative? Also why are there NO sources that relate to the topic of your paper? There’s NO WAY you’re going to be able to finish all this and still have time to eat, sleep, and breathe.

7. Anger

Who aren’t you angry at? Your professors are demanding way too much from you. Your friends let you slack off the entire semester. Your parents encouraged you to go to college in the first place. And you. You decided it was more important to watch Netflix, have a social life, and have a paycheck to spend on unnecessary stuff, that you never actually planned your time out well. 

8. Bargaining

Sometimes you just have to bargain with yourself. If you do well on this final you’ll take yourself out and buy those shoes you’ve been eyeing. 

9. Cramming

STUDY! STUDY! STUDY!

10. The Exam

Time to put all that studying to the test. You definitely know all of the info (until you see the first question).

11. Post Final Acceptance

You did the best that you could. Now it’s time to relax and enjoy your well earned break.

Good luck on your finals everyone!

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.