This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Hey all, long time no write! I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these crazy times. I, like many of you all I’m sure, have had my life completely turned upside down. With the second half of my study abroad being canceled, returning home to my city shut down and my friends and family locked away, I’ve been looking for things to keep my spirits up. I’m sure we can all agree that one thing that gives us peace of mind during times like these is music. I am so happy that despite the pandemic, there are artists releasing new projects and live streaming concerts when most of their fans actually have time during the days to enjoy them! Anyhoo, here are a few songs that I’ve been listening to lately to keep my spirits up!

“Tusa” by Karol G. ft. Nicki Manaj

If there is a single song that is getting me out of bed every morning during quarantine, it’s this one. Reggeatone queen Karol G meets Nicki Minaj in a fun feel-good song about getting over a heartbreak. Pretty much every single taxi, restaurant, and nightclub in Mexico played this song, and every night the room lit up with every person singing at the top of their lungs. Fun fact: It’s a perfect karaoke song to sing with your best friend.

“Si Veo a Tu Mamá” by Bad Bunny ft. Sech

If you have yet to fall in love with Bad Bunny, this is a perfect song to listen to. Infact, go ahead and listen to his entire album YHLQMDLG (“Yo Hago Lo Que Me Da La Gana” which roughly translates to “I Do What I Want”). This song is fun and catchy; I sometimes even catch my mom dancing to it in her room! Another good song off this album is called “Ignorantes” ft. Sech. Both of these songs have been my go-to for even the rainiest of days.

“Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America” by The 1975

Speaking of rainy days, this song is pretty much the musical equivalent of rain drops hitting the window pane. You all should know how much I adore The 1975, but this tune’s even more special because it sneakily features another one of my favorite artists, Phoebe Bridgers. This song falls back into a more mellow acoustic sound of guitar and faded horns. One listen and you will have it on a loop all day long!

“B.S.” (ft. H.E.R.) by Jhene Aiko

Jhene Aiko is one of my favorite female artists of all time and never fails to disappoint. She has songs for every season, young love, heartbreak, self-love, you name it. This song featuring  H.E.R. is just one off her recent album Chilombo, which is artistically stunning from start to finish (I also recommend “10k Miles,” “Speak,” and “P*$$Y Fairy”). “B.S.” is pretty much the song I sing along to every day in the shower, when I’m getting ready in the mirror, and when I’m dancing in my room at one in the morning. It’s all about getting over a breakup and getting back to your life, focusing on yourself, your needs, and celebrating womanhood. Listen to this once and tell me you don’t come out feeling like a bad bitch. I dare you.

“Golf on T.V.” by Lennon Stella ft. JP Saxe

I’ve mentioned Canadian pop singer Lennon Stella back in 2019, in my “Artists to Watch” article and let me just say, I was right! The young artist just released her long-awaited debut album titled Three. Two. One. last friday and this is one of many songs that have been stuck in my head. This one’s all about the never-ending honeymoon feeling of being young and in love. The lyrics are super sweet and it’s a great song to workout to at home, listen to when cooking, or maybe sing in the shower. Be on the lookout for an album review from me coming soon!

“Underdog” by Alicia Keys

How can I not include Alicia Keys in this list? She is  incredible lyrically and is a consistent artist in the music world. This song has an important message, especially today, as it’s a shout out to the underdogs of our society. Keys praises the hard work of single mothers, teachers, students, and anyone who is working hard and hustling to make it in this world. This one’s really important as we think about all the truly essential members of society during this pandemic. I’m talking about the nurses, cashiers, gas station employees, mail carriers, garbage men and women, and street cleaners who work hard and risk their health to keep our cities and towns functioning. This song is almost a, “we see you, and thank you” to these people. I’m including this song in appreciation for the underdogs who are true superheroes today and every day.

“Sky’s the Limit” by Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands of all time, mostly because of Stevie Nicks whom I love and adore, but also because their sound is timeless. This song is one of my favorites because it’s cheerful and optimistic, two things we are in need of right now! Other songs by them I’ve been listening to are “Dreams” (duh), “I Do” and “Leather and Lace” by Stevie herself.

“Endlessly” by Alina Baraz

For the longest time, “For Me” was my favorite song by the Cleveland R&B artist, but with the release of her new album It Was Divine just last week, “Endlessly” has become a favorite. Baraz’s sound is more downtempo and on the mellow side, perfect for studying, reading, or just hanging out. Her sound is very similar to that of H.E.R. and Jhene Aiko, two artists whom I also adore. Baraz’s new album is impressive both musically and lyrically, including features like Khalid, 6LACK, and Smino.

“Heaven” by John Legend

John Legend is one of those artists whom I will forever admire for his soulful voice and experimental sound. His music has been a huge part of the soundtrack of my life and some of my favorite songs of his are from the beginning of his music career. “Heaven” was released in 2006 with his album Once Again. It’s groovy, catchy, and a good song to dance to during your study breaks. One of my favorite albums of all time is his debut album Get Lifted which is perfect from start to finish. There are some songs that remind you of family and home and this is definitely one of them for me!

“Intentions” by Justin Bieber ft. Quavo

I’m seeing a pattern here with songs that are cozy and feel-good tunes, and if there’s one artist I know will put a smile on my face, it’s Justin Bieber (sorry, not sorry!). This song has been one of my favorites to get me going in the morning, whether it’s working out in my laundry room or making coffee. “Intentions” is upbeat, silly, and a good song to play out loud. It’s a really cute song that’s on his most recent album Changes; if you’re a fan of Bieber, I highly recommend it.

Wherever you are in the world, I hope you are well. Don’t forget to tell the ones you love most in the world just how much you love them, and to prioritize not only your health but the health of others. Right now is very strange, but also incredible in the way that communities are coming together to help each other out. While you’re inside, maybe you want to make your own playlist and share them with your friends, have a zoom dance party, or simply one by yourself in your room. Practicing self-care at this time is super important and listening to music is definitely one way to do that!

Cecilia Hansen

Seattle U '21

Hi all! My name is Cecilia, but you can call me Ceci! I am a sophomore writer at Seattle U double majoring in Humanities for Teaching and Spanish and minoring in Latin American Studies. After high school I spent a year living in South America and Europe teaching English and traveling! I love exploring and trying new things whether I'm at home in Chicago, in Seattle, or halfway across the world! I love to play guitar, cook and watch movies with my friends, and am a massive fan of Chicago sports teams. You can probably catch me roaming the streets of Seattle singing a tune or two, binge watching Friends or laughing about something random with my roommate!
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.