This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

I have recently fallen into the repetitive cycle of homework, studying, occasionally eating, and feeling stuck in the Seattle University bubble. What is the Seattle University bubble, you may ask? It’s more of a feeling than a place. The campus of Seattle University is small and something that I enjoy most of the time. However, at times it feels suffocatingly small when all I do on some days is go back and forth from the Bannon building to my apartment on campus. If you couldn’t tell I’m not one who wants to really settle into this routine and live my life in the same monotone lifestyle.

With the stress of midterms looming and graduation fast approaching I feel myself experiencing these feelings more and more. After graduation my dream is to go to medical school. That means another four years of this same routine, maybe in the same city, maybe not. This might be my anxiety and my fear of the future making me write this, but maybe some of you can relate.

I definitely didn’t start writing this to bring you all down. Actually, I wanted to do quite the opposite. All of this worrying of the future and repetition has led me back to thinking of the simpler times, and the simpler things I wanted. Whether that was when I was younger, or now, there are quite a number of little things that make my heart full. These things make me realize that my life is worth living, even if it’s just for these moments.

Laughter

Have you ever laughed so hard that it physically hurts? I’m sure you have and if you recall that moment it will instantly put a smile on your face. My sister has the laughter of an angel. I swear. It’s contagious and full and something that I never appreciate as much as I should. I may have forgotten the reasons as to why we were laughing, but the sound of her and her happiness is something I hold very close to my heart.

Rain

I’ve lived in Washington basically my whole life and I haven’t really ever loved or hated the rain. Recently, though, the rain in Seattle has been getting on my nerves. Who likes getting drenched and changing their socks three times a day? But hear me out. Have you ever laid in your bed and fallen asleep to the rain on the window pane? Isn’t it the most therapeutic way to fall asleep? Recently my roommate and I decided to adventure out into Seattle and get off campus. It was pouring. My hood wouldn’t stay up. I was upset for about 10 minutes until I realized, maybe this is a way for me to appreciate the rain for what it is. Maybe it’s washing away all my worries and stress from my week of midterms. Maybe it’s a reminder that I need to slow down and appreciate nature and the city I live in. When I realized this, I was so much happier and appreciative of living where I do and having the amazing company I have. Sometimes it takes something really simple and mundane to remind me of the bigger picture. There’s a whole world outside of my head. 

That Song

Everyone has that song, or playlist that can calm you down or hype you up and distract you from the reality of life. Even though it’s temporary, I think it’s really important. For me, these songs give me the time I need to just breathe and take a break. The moment my song comes on I instantly feel a wave of relief. It prevents the overwhelming thoughts that occupy my mind. It stops me from worrying about whether or not I’ll get into medical school or if I chose the right school to go to. My mind just fills with lyrics and beats that are familiar and give me a sense of relief. Sometimes that’s all I need.

Driving with the Windows Down

If you were to ever ask me what my favorite feeling in the world is, it’s this. The feeling when cold, biting air hits my face and my hair looks like a complete disaster flailing in the wind. There isn’t much to explain about this one. There aren’t really words. It’s simply a girl and the elements.

Whenever you’re feeling stuck in a mood, I want this to be a reminder that there are so many beautiful things in this world. They may not be expensive or grand like a car or fulfilling a life dream, but they still leave a positive impact on peoples’ moods. Take some time to make a life of the little things that you love and remember to really appreciate them when they happen. Those are the moments that you’ll remember after all these years. It won’t be the hours spent writing an essay or studying for an exam, it’s these little moments that matter the most.

Shivani is a 3rd year undergrad student pursuing a degree in Cell and Molecular Biology. Her first loves has always been reading and writing, both of which she started at a very young age. She enjoys writing pieces about personal situations and topics in her life that she feels will be helpful and applicable to others. Her dreams are to become a Family Medicine doctor and publish a book of her poetry.
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.