Career

How to Make the Most of an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Landing your first internship can be an exciting yet scary feeling. Part of you is eager to get valuable experience in the real world, while another part of you has absolutely no idea what to expect. Let’s face it, the thought of getting thrown into a workplace with no prior experience is nerve wracking and frightening. Luckily, most businesses and agencies are eager to teach you everything you need to know and will happily answer all your questions. Whether your internship is over the summer or during the school semester, there are a few key tips to keep in mind so you can make the most out of it and gain the experience you need to take your job search to the next level.

Set Goals

It’s important to set goals as soon as your internship starts so you can keep track of everything as time goes on. It’ll get you into the habit of getting tasks done in a timely manner so you can stay on top of your workload. Additionally, your coworkers will see that you are a motivated individual with a drive to succeed. Make mental notes or write down at least three goals you have every week and try to accomplish them by the end of it.

Ask Questions

This is a learning experience! Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Chances are that most people in your workplace were in your shoes at one point in their career, so they will be happy to help you get in the swing of things. You aren’t supposed to be an experienced genius when starting an internship, so if something doesn’t make sense to you it’s the perfect opportunity to learn a new skill or piece of knowledge.

Build Relationships

Networking and building connections plays a crucial part in your success and helps make the internship more rewarding in the end. The more people you know and make an impact on, the more of a chance you have in landing that dream job of yours. You never know what connections people may have, so it’s important for you to put yourself out there.

Take it Seriously 

Getting that internship you applied for out of hundreds of applicants is no joke and is something you should be proud of. You clearly impressed the interviewees, so take this opportunity to show them that you really do deserve the position. As in the case for most jobs out there, don’t be lazy and put your best work out there. If everything goes well, you could make your way up the company and land yourself a full-time job!

There you have it, folks. As a former intern, these are just a few tips I learned during my experience and think everyone should keep in mind when embarking on their new career journey. Internships are a wonderful learning experience and they allow you to have your first taste of true adulthood, so if you have faith in yourself, you will do just fine.

Hi everyone! My name is Tuya and I am currently a senior at San Diego State University studying Communication with the hopes of landing a job in the digital marketing field. I love going to music festivals, tanning at the beach, and shopping with friends in my free time. I consider myself a goal-setter and strive to be the best version of myself so I can be successful in my endeavors. I am super excited to be a part of Her Campus and can't wait to see what the future has in store! Go ahead and check out my Instagram @tuyahaden and my food account @hungryhapaa :)
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!