Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Get Through a Quarantine Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Breakups suck. Now imagine going through your very first heartbreak in the middle of a global pandemic? Not the most ideal situation and most definitely not how I imagined my 2020 to be going. Going out with friends, meeting new people, and any sort of distraction is usually the #1 tip for post breakup life. However, due to COVID-19, any sort of fun night out was not in the cards. Strangely, this was the best thing for me. I had the opportunity to not only work on myself, but to fully grieve the breakup instead of distracting myself with trivial things. Here are some ways I got over a quarantine breakup. 

Music

I didn’t realize how much music can affect your mood until my breakup. At first, I stayed away from any sort of heartbreak/love song but I actually advise against this! Listen to Adele, scream All Too Well at the top of your lungs, and just cry it all out. But not for too long. Once you’re done, blast that Bad B*** playlist and know your worth! Spotify has endless girl power/get over him playlists that will be your holy grail. 

Facetime a friend

Following the No Contact Rule is probably the hardest part of a breakup (if you don’t know what this is- look it up now!) Anytime I had the urge to text or call my ex, I would facetime my friends instead. Whether to just update each other on your day, gossip, laugh or cry – investing in friendships is so important. They will remind you that there’s more to life than just a romantic relationship. If you feel like you don’t have a friend like this to lean on, reach out to old friends or family and rebuild those relationships! Breakups are hard and you shouldn’t have to go through them alone.

Working out

I am not your usual gym grind girl at all and I definitely did not have the energy to start, but I knew I had to do it. Laying in bed with anxiety wasn’t getting me anywhere so I had to make use of the energy I did have! Workout every morning even for just 15 minutes made me feel so much better. I had a chance to clear my mind, relieve anxiety, release endorphins, and better my health. After just a few weeks, I felt stronger than I’ve ever felt before.

Reading

I couldn’t remember the last time I finished a book before my breakup, but reading actually seemed to help me the most out of anything. Taking a chance to just get out of my head and focusing on just the words in front of me did wonders for all of the overthinking. I found that self help books calmed me down the most! Here are some of my favs: You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero, Compassion by Henri Nouwen, and The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Take yourself out on a date 

Just because we’re social distancing doesn’t mean we can’t go places. I found so much joy in just getting ready and going somewhere new- with a mask of course. I found new beaches, hiked, went kayaking, camped, so many things I had never tried before. I surprised myself with my new found love for the outdoors. Even if that’s not your thing, put on your favorite outfit and grab some ice cream because you are beautiful, amazing, and WORTH IT!

xoxo, 

Rachel Herrera

Hi! My name is Rachel Herrera and I'm majoring in Communication with a minor in Theatre Arts at San Diego State University. I was born and raised in San Diego and love exploring my favorite city! I have a passion for the arts, activism, faith, and finding the best avocado toast SD has to offer. I love to sing, act, dance, read, and I'm currently trying (struggling) to learn how to play the guitar. On the weekends, you can find me at work, aka a birthday party playing your favorite Disney Princess! Writing has always been a creative outlet for me and I'm excited to be apart of the Her Campus community!