Wellness

Body Positivity in the Summer Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

With the summer months quickly approaching, and the weather warming up, it is the time of year where swimsuits become a main piece of every SDSU students’ weekly wardrobe. With multiple pool facilities on campus, and tons of beaches nearby it is hard to escape the inevitable of someone inviting you to a beach or pool day. While I myself love a good day relaxing by the water, soaking up the San Diego sun, for myself and many others it can bring about a lot of stress and anxiety when it comes to our bodies.

This time of year our bodies are more on display, with temperatures rising meaning shorts, crop tops etc. are everywhere you look. I find myself feeling self conscious often times when it comes to wearing these clothing items, and especially swimsuits. While my friends often go hang by the pool, sometimes I consider not going just because of my own body insecurities.

I realize however that you can still enjoy the warmer weather regardless because you shouldn’t feel pressured to look a certain way. If you aren’t comfortable lounging by the pool in a bikini, then wear shorts, or a long t-shirt. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is what you should wear.

Body positivity isn’t an easy journey, I can tell you that as I am still learning to accept my body after it has changed so much through my first year of college. But it is important to remember that a so called “swimsuit body” is just a body in a swimsuit, aka every type of body rocks swimwear.

Summer is a wonderful time to be outdoors, enjoy nature and spend quality time with friends, so don’t let unrealistic beauty standards get in the way of that. Just know if you have some anxiety going into these next few months, you are NOT ALONE. That being said, we can all work towards loving our bodies and ourselves from within more by being unapologetically ourselves, and surrounding ourselves with people that love us for what’s on the inside, because at the end of the day that is the true measure of beauty. So get on that cute new swimsuit and soak up that vitamin C because you are beautiful inside and out.

I am a passionate mental health advocate and student at SDSU. I am a film production major and hope to one day become a director or casting agent. I love exploring new coffee shops, hiking, traveling, as well as music, film, etc. I am in Kappa Alpha Theta at SDSU, and look forward to writing about my experience as a freshman student. I am also obsessed with my dog Piper, and animals in general.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!