This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! But if you’re like me, you’re usually running out the door to class… I always end up eating breakfast on the go, so that’s why I love simple, make ahead and on the go breakfasts! So here’s five make ahead and nutritious breakfasts that will fuel your brain for a busy day.  

Overnight Oats

Overnight oats are one of the easiest breakfasts that can even satisfy your sweet tooth. Oats are full of fiber, can lower cholesterol and are rich in vitamins. They only take about 10 minutes to prep and the options are endless! Grab your oats, favorite milk like almond or cashew, add a nut butter or yogurt, and sweetener of choice like honey or maple syrup. Then pick your favorite fruits like blueberries or bananas and you have a nutrient dense meal!

Blueberry Muffins

These blueberry muffins are a healthy substitute for store-bought, sugar-filled muffins. They are soft, fluffy and take about 20 minutes to bake. They’re even refined, sugar free and grain free! Blueberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants and can boost brain functioning. These muffins freeze beautifully and are the perfect grab and go breakfast for on your way to class.

Ingredients:

2 cups oat flour

1 cup cup raw, unfiltered honey

2 tsp baking powder

1 beaten egg

¾ cup unsweetened almond milk

2 tbsp melted coconut oil

2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce

⅔ cup blueberries

squeeze of a lemon

Recipe:

Add dry ingredients to a bowl

Combine wet ingredients with an electric mixer

Gradually add dry ingredients to wet

Mix well and then fold in blueberries

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes

Egg Muffin Cups

Egg muffin cups will save you so much time in the morning! Beat egg whites, add veggies like spinach or bell pepper and a protein or cheese if you like. Then, pour the mixture into a muffin tin. These cups will keep you full all morning. This low carb breakfast is a complete protein and can even help you get some of your recommended veggie servings for the day.  

Chia Seed Pudding 

Just like overnight oats, you prep this pudding the night before! Add ¼ cup chia seeds, 1 cup of your favorite milk and a little bit of honey or maple syrup to a mason jar. Then, stir it and refrigerate it overnight. Chia seeds are a great source of omega 3s, packed with antioxidants, and full of fiber and protein. Then, in the morning, you can just add your favorite toppings like berries, nut butter or granola. This pudding tastes like dessert!

No Bake Cereal Bars

Cereal bars are perfect for those mornings when you are extra short on time. They are sweet and yummy, but more times than not store bought ones are packed full of sugar. But making your own is sooo easy, doesn’t even require an oven and you can customize them. Here’s a recipe that is packed with fiber and is refined sugar free!

Ingredients:

2 cups organic brown rice cereal

½ cup chopped unsalted almonds

⅓ cup dried cranberries

⅓ cup raw cacao nibs

1 tbsp chia seeds

½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes

¾ cup raw unfiltered honey

¾ cup unsalted creamy peanut butter

Recipe:

Add brown rice cereal and chopped almonds to a large bowl

In a saucepan, heat peanut butter and honey until well combined and bubbling. Stir when needed so it does not burn

Pour over cereal & almond mixture then use   a large spoon to coat everything

Add in dried cranberries, cacao nibs, and chia seeds and keep stirring until well coated

Then fold in coconut flakes

Transfer to a lined 9×13 pyrex with parchment paper then cover

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm then slice into bars!

Hopefully these 5 healthy and quick breakfast ideas will help you stop skipping breakfast or give some variety to your meals! Every meal can be made ahead of time so you’re not having to make breakfast while trying to run out the door.

Logan Aitken is a second year student majoring in food and nutrition at San Diego State. She is passionate about health and fitness, and started her own health and wellness instagram account (@livinglolo_). She enjoys taking everyday, classic recipes and reinventing them with her own healthy twist. She is also an educator at Lululemon. She loves living a fast-paced active lifestyle, but when she has a moment of down time, you will always find her at the beach.
Emily is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU. She is a 4th year journalism student from Chicago, IL. At SDSU, she is in Kappa Delta, is the Social Media Director of Rho Lambda and the Vice President Membership of Order of Omega. Emily's favorite hobbies are dancing, online shopping, planning out her Instagram feed, blogging and going to Disneyland. On a daily basis, you can find her glued to her laptop writing blog posts and editing Youtube videos. In the future, she wants to work for the Walt Disney Company on their social media marketing and communications corporate team. Emily's strong passion for digital media & content creation makes her very proud to be a member of the Her Campus team!