5 Albums To Listen To When You Just Want To Chill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

I am a firm believer in listening to specific music and songs depending on my mood, and because of that, I have come up the the perfect 5 albums to listen to when I just want to sit back and relax. 

Mind Over Matter — Young the Giant 

Young the Giant’s 2nd LP, Mind Over Matter, is my go-to album to listen to when I’m in a good mood. This alternative rock band is one of the best because they have an easy-going sound that makes it hard not to smile while listening. After seeing them live on their Mind Over Matter tour, Young the Giant carved their spot as number 1 on my list of favorite bands. Their song “Teachers” remains my favorite song of all time and is the perfect song to listen to on a long drive with your friends.

Sound & Color — Alabama Shakes

This Grammy-winning blues rock band released their second album Sound & Color last year, which features the songs “Don’t Wanna Fight” and “Gimme All Your Love”. I always picture myself driving by a country-side while listening to this album because their sound gives off a southern feel. I recommend listening to “This Feeling” if you’re looking to unwind after a long day. 

Only By The Night Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon never disappoints, especially with their 2008 album Only By The Night. Though this album does feature their popular hits “Use Somebody” and “Sex On Fire”, my favorite song on the album is “Manhattan.” Kings of Leon is my favorite band to listen to at any time of the day, but when I feel like laying down to unwind, Only By The Night is my prefered album. 

Light Up The DarkGabrielle Aplin

Gabrielle Aplin is an English singer-songwriter and has such a sweet sounding voice that listening to her automatically puts me in a good mood. I discovered her after looking up the song “Sweet Nothing” by Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch and accidentally clicking on Aplin’s song “Sweet Nothing”, which turned out to be a beneficial mistake. Ever since I first listened to her album Light Up The Dark, I haven’t been able to stop. It’s the perfect anthem for a girl’s night in with your roommates. 

Songs About Jane Maroon 5

Arguably Maroon 5’s best album to date, Songs About Jane is the perfect album to listen to on a breezy, sunny day (which are pretty often in San Diego). This album contains many of Maroon 5’s top hits, like “She Will Be Loved” and “This Love”. My go-to song on this album is “Sunday Morning” because, let’s be honest, it’s practiacally impossible to not feel at peace while listening to this hit. 

I am currently a sophomore at San Diego State majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. I have four years of experience as a writer and editor for my high school newspaper and am now one of the CC's for Her Campus SDSU. Taco Tuesday is my favorite day of the week, and yes, I am related to Abraham Lincoln.