This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Most people tend to express their gratitude as November rolls around. Having a national holiday that encourages us to remember all the things we are grateful for is awesome, but once the holiday season is over, we often forget about all the positive things we have in our life. What’s funny is that more often than not, our lives don’t get worse, we just get so caught up in preparing for the future that we sometimes lose sight of the amazing people and opportunities around us.

Post holiday season, I tend to fall into this slump where I unintentionally focus on the negatives and forget all the things I have to be grateful for each day. To help myself when I am feeling down, there is one thing I have found to be extremely helpful: making a gratitude list!

Okay so you might be thinking, “I already know I have things to be grateful for.” And you’re right. If we were to be questioned, “What are you grateful for?,” we would be able to come up with an answer on the spot. Typical responses might include access to food, shelter, family and friends. And these are all valid answers.

Someone holding a book on a yellow bed.
Photo by fotografierende from Pexels
But there is one key component to making a gratitude list that will have a positive impact on the remainder of your day. Taking the time to make this list. All you need is five minutes! By carving out a short five minutes to come up with a list of everything you consider a blessing in your life, your attitude will change completely. I highly recommend using a pen and paper to physically write down this list. You will realize how quickly you can write down the obvious things like friends and family, but coming up with smaller appreciations may be difficult at first. With practice, you will be more mindful of everything you appreciate in your life and continue to add more and more to this list.

Anna Shvets via Pexels
Another alternative I have found to be incredibly helpful, especially in times of stress and anxiety, is reciting my gratitude list aloud with a friend or family member. Having a small one-on-one with someone I love and talking about the things we are grateful for brings me reassurance that there are so many amazing people and opportunities in my life. Because we all have busy schedules these days, it makes the conversations that much more meaningful. So I highly encourage you to reach out to a loved one or take five minutes for yourself and jot down all the things, big and small, that you are grateful for. You’ll be surprised how many things come up on your list!!

Lina Rader is a 2nd year at Santa Clara University pursuing a double major in Psychology and Political Science. She enjoys iced chai and long car rides with friends and is passionate about helping others to improve their mental health.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!