This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Okay ladies, gentlemen, and non-binaries – let’s talk politics. I am going preface this article by stating that I am a Democrat and I believe in the resilience and spunk of women of all nationalities, races, orientations, and political beliefs. So yes, I was disappointed when former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton (or as I like to call her, “Hillz yeah!”), didn’t break the glass ceiling and assume office as the 45th President of the United States. However, the 2017 elections weren’t a failure on the path to gender equality. So without further ado, here are some pretty cool women who are making their voices heard in Washington D.C. and around the country, and who give intersectional feminism a killer name.

Name: Kate Brown

State: Oregon

Position: Governor of Oregon

Party: Democratic

Priorities: Raising high school graduation rates, environmental protection

Accomplishments: Passed paid sick leave and raised the Oregon minimum wage

Why she matters: She is the first openly bi-sexual woman elected to Congress.

Name: Ilhan Omar

State: Minnesota

Position: United States House Representative for District 60B

Party: Democratic (Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party)

Priorities: A “cradle-to-career” approach to education for all and a criminal justice system that puts an emphasis on rehabilitation and mental health

What she has accomplished: Banned environmentally harmful containers and passed the first piece of legislation ever to accommodate Muslims in the workforce during Ramadan by extending their hours by 35, paid parental leave for city employees

Why she matters: She is the first Somali-American Muslim to hold office at her level.

Name: Stephanie Murphy

State: Florida

Position: United States House Representative for District 7

Party: Democratic

Priorities: Environmental reform and protection laws, an annual budget in Congress and control of deficit spending, and comprehensive immigration reform

What has she accomplished: Supporting small businesses and business reforms in the state of Florida, advocating for veterans

Why she matters: She is the first Vietnamese-American woman elected to Congress (in addition, her parents were rescued at sea by the U.S. Navy after fleeing Communist Vietnam and worked hard to give her the life she has, inspiring her career in politics).

Name: Jaime Herrera Beutler

State: Washington

Position: United States House Representative for District 3

Party: Republican

Priorities: Encourage S.T.E.M. education in schools, and protect and preserve the environment

What she has accomplished: Raises awareness about maternity care in the United States and works to advocate for females of both parties

Why she matters: First Hispanic to represent Washington State in Congress as well as one of the youngest women in Congress

All research was done on the official websites of each of the aforementioned women.

Riley is a junior at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring in French and Francophone Studies. Though she studies two beautiful languages with rich vocabularies, she is often heard tossing around eloquent words and phrases such as, "cool dude," or "rad." If you have a dog, she'll ask to pet it.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.