An Open Letter to My Meditation App

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Dear Headspace,

When I downloaded your app almost a year ago, I was a little skeptical. I didn’t consider meditation as a way of processing the stress and emotional rollercoaster of everyday life until my mom suggested it. My dad had brought it up when I mentioned having more anxiety than before, but I brushed it off. He always knows the right thing to do. But then my mom recommended it. If this was coming from both my parents, then I started to consider the idea of meditation.

I looked into which apps could help me and discovered you, Headspace. I have to say, when I saw Emma Watson call your app “kind of genius,” I was very interested. I launched into a journey that I hoped would be fruitful, and little did I know how much I would get out of this experience.

Throughout this year I have learned how to notice which emotions I am feeling without judgement. I have learned how to ‘part the clouds’ and find a clearer mind. But most of all, I have learned that I am not my anxiety. I am not my emotions. They come and go while I stay unwavering. This is the biggest takeaway I have incorporated in my everyday life and it’s the reason I encourage my friends to meditate. You are not your anxiety, depression, mood swings… You can notice these feelings without becoming them. Being able to truly believe that I am more than any mental health issue I may face is one of the most empowering realizations I have ever had.

In consequence, I am fundamentally happier. I am calmer. I am less prone to anxiety attacks. Friends and family are always there as support, but there is nothing worse than feeling like a burden. Now, if I feel like I am fighting this alone, I know that I can. It isn’t a lonely aloneness.

Thank you for showing me that everything I need to be happy is within me. I control my own feelings, they do not control me.

Best,

Liane Ruddy

Franco-American. Yes, this does mean she likes cheese twice as much. Liane is Pre-med, a Public Health major, and obsessed with the gym/photography. She's always down to gaze at the stars. Ask Liane about workouts or health tips!
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.