Wellness

A Guide to Art Therapy: You Don’t Need to be Picasso to Relieve Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

We’ve all been there — stressed about an exam, friend drama or first date you have next Friday. Most people are aware that art can serve as a destresser, however, most don’t know that creating art is just as effective a relaxant for the novice artist as it is for the pros. Here are some fun ways to relieve stress through art that don’t require experience or talent!

Art therapy is considered any kind of creative activity that leaves you feeling grounded. Sources have claimed some of the benefits of art therapy include improved cognitive skills, reduced anxiety and a heightened sense of self awareness.

Doodling & Sketching

Ever doodled on the side of your notebook or test to give yourself a quick brain break? That counts as one of the simplest but most effective methods of art therapy. Sketching keeps your mind engaged while also letting it wander and get creative. Try purchasing a sketchbook and finding a few signature doodles to perfect! 

Journaling

Journaling is one of my personal favorites and it’s the best for when you’re feeling down or confused. It also serves as  a healthy way to continuously track your feelings! One of the most significant  pros of journaling is that it’s a form of self-reflection which forces you to confront what is holding you back and capitalize on what you’re doing well. It’s  easy to get creative with journaling through calligraphy, fun pens, different colors and doodles. Some of the most popular forms of journaling are bullet journaling, dream journaling and gratitude Journaling. Try them all out and see which one  you love! The most important part of keeping a journal is writing what you feel and having fun with it. 

art materials
Photo by Lum3n from Pexels

Photography

Photography is a really fun and effective form of art therapy because it gets you up and moving. Whether it’s on a high quality camera or your smartphone, getting out and snapping photos of your favorite locations is amazing for your mental health! You not only get to go out and see the world,  but you can try your hand at capturing in any way you choose. Getting out there with a friend as your model is a fun place to start!

While I’ve only elaborated on a few methods of art therapy that I know and love, there are a million ways to get creative. The point is, get up and start exploring all art forms to find what you love! Whether you’re snapping  pictures of a beautiful sunset or doodling on the side of your homework, practicing art is one of the best ways to calm the mind and soul. Happy creating!

woman using a camera
Photo by ATC Comm Photo from Pexels

Poetry

While poetry might be the most intimidating form of art therapy, it can also be one of the most fulfilling! In my opinion, writing poetry allows me to process and purge my emotions helps with the processing and purging of emotions. You will feel better after writing poetry even if what you create is totally sappy — most of the time that’s the fun of it. And who knows, continue practicing with any art form and you might just get good at it!

Sarah is a first-year at Santa Clara University planning on majoring in marketing and entrepreneurship. She loves art, design, music, and of course, writing for HerCampus! In her free time, she enjoys hiking, going to the beach as much as possible, and finding new songs!
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!