This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day on March 8 and the importance of continuing to highlight and uplift the voices of the BIPOC community, here are five women BIPOC friendly Instagram accounts you need to be following:

@AVA Ava Duvernay

Ava Duvernay is a filmmaker responsible for groundbreaking work like When They See Us, a miniseries telling the story of The Exonerated Five, and Selma, the award winning 2014 film based on the 1965 voting rights marches from Selma to Montgomery. Not only is Duvernay responsible for great works of television and film, she also actively advocates for BIPOC voices and educates her base on many social justice issues.

@InfluencinginColor Influencing in Color

Influencing in Color is a group of four Black women, Nikki, Meghan, Shay and Brady,  from Houston, Texas. Their mission is to enlighten their community and  positively influence people of all colors. They do this through advocacy work, collaboration and their unwavering strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. These women use collaborative partnerships in order to educate and serve communities. 

@CleoWade Cleo Wade

Cleo Wade describes herself as a “community builder.” That is exactly what she does as an author of many popular books such as Heart Talk: Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life. This book encourages self-care through poetic verses that spread positivity. She has been featured in popular magazines like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and Elle. On her instagram, you can find daily uplifting messages and constant reminders to take care of yourself.

@Meena Meena Harris

If this name sounds familiar, you’re not mistaken! Meena Harris is the niece of the first women vice president, Kamala Harris. Meena herself is also the founder of Phenomenal, a women run lifestyle brand that brings awareness to various causes, culture issues and the experiences of underrepresented and marginalized communities. Phenomenal partners with multiple organizations to bring awareness to issues ranging from police brutality to immigration policy. On Meena’s instagram you can also find adorable content of her two young daughters, Amara and Leela! 

@TiffanyIma Tiffany Ima

Tiffany Ima is a body positive influencer focused on teaching her followers how to navigate body image shame and dysmorphia, and how to be confident in the body they have now! Tiffany believes that every woman has the power to become the most confident person in any room. By looking at health and wellness holistically and not solely as a means to achieve physical fitness equivalent to society standards, Tiffany offers a fresh perspective that encourages women to improve their overall well-being through self-care practices and mindfulness. 

Andrea Shephard is currently a sophomore at Santa Clara University and a proud correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. She is pursuing a major in Communication as well a minor in Entrepreneurship studies. Andrea is passionate about social justice, health and wellness, beauty and fashion, travel and music.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!