Career

Conquering the Internship Search

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has put a pause on the majority of the world and has given us a new definition of normal. Despite this unprecedented time, we at Her Campus like to conquer challenges, including (especially) the remote internship search. Here are some tips to help ease the process of searching for a remote internship.

Reach out to the Career Center or Mentor

First, I recommend starting with a generic Google search to see what type of opportunities are available and to filter out the opportunities that do not align with your goals. After you start brainstorming, reach out to your university’s career center, former supervisor, or professor to see if they are aware of any good opportunities related to your major or desired career path.

Join Angel List

Angel List is an innovative website for job seekers looking to work at start-ups. The platform is great for college students searching for a fast-paced opportunity or employment opportunities at technology companies. Angel List is similar to the Handshake platform, where you upload your resume and can apply filters to find specific opportunities. Another plus of the platform allows for CEOs to reach out to you directly if they are interested in your profile and resume. Even when you are not actively looking for an internship, people can reach out to you!

Utilize Social Media

If you are interested in working for a particular company, slide in their DMs and introduce yourself! Your direct message should include your name, major/minor, university name, a brief blurb about your previous experiences that relate to the company, and it should end with a question regarding their internship availability. Additionally, if you are a part of an organized group with other students or alumni, you can post a similar message saying that you are looking for your next opportunity! Make sure to clean up your account, such as deleting or archiving posts before sending the message.

Have a Basic Resume on Hand

You never know when the next internship inquiry may arise! To be prepared, keep your resume updated, with your contact information on top, education, and transferable skills. Then, when the next opportunity comes your way, all you will need to do is plug in your applicable experiences in the experience section. 

I hope these tips can help you land and conquer your next internship!

Alexis Takagi is the Marketing Director for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Alexis is a 3rd-year student majoring in Communication. She is passionate about supporting women in business and business law. When Alexis is not working, she is taking photos, cooking, or volunteering!
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!