This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Burnout is characterized and defined as a reaction to prolonged stress and often includes feelings of both mental and physical exhaustion as well as a lack of confidence in your abilities. Feelings of burnout can accumulate over time and can look different for different people, thus impacting our work and our lives in unique ways. However, burnout can be avoided by making little changes to your daily routine.

Get an Agenda and/or To-Do List

The online world of Zoom lectures and meetings is fast-paced, and keeping an agenda or to-do list can help you maintain a steady schedule. Whether you use a physical agenda or digital version, make sure to personalize it to your aesthetic. Bullet journals are another creative way to combine your agenda and other notes! 

Schedule Breaks 

While planning for the week ahead, make sure to block off break times sporadically throughout the workweek. While this is easier said than done, you will also need to stick to your break times by setting boundaries with your peers and coworkers. You will need to reinforce that you are unavailable to meet during those times. 

Journal (or do something that isn’t online)

Avoiding the digital space has proven to be difficult throughout the pandemic, yet finding an activity that isn’t dependent on the internet can help you differentiate your routine! Activities such as journaling, going on a hike, or coloring can be great alternatives to get your mind off of digital distractions. 

Remember the Time We Are in

Remember that this is an unusual and unprecedented time! We are all trying our best, and giving yourself patience during this time can make all the difference when it comes to trying to stay afloat at work and school. 

By integrating daily habits into your routine, you can avoid burnout and increase your satisfaction with your job or school work! 

Alexis Takagi is the Marketing Director for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Alexis is a 3rd-year student majoring in Communication. She is passionate about supporting women in business and business law. When Alexis is not working, she is taking photos, cooking, or volunteering!
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!