8 Healthy Vegan Snacks to Keep you Energized and Fulfilled

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

If there’s one thing I love, it’s snacking. However, healthy snacking hasn’t always been a strong suit of mine. It’s easy to go to the cabinet and pick up the first snack you see, like a bag of chips. A bag of chips is cheap, delicious and requires no prep time, but as yummy as they might be in the moment, it isn’t necessarily the best fuel for your body and mind.

A dietician once told me that “if a food grows naturally on this Earth, it’s probably good for you.” Unfortunately, chips don’t grow on trees, and fruits and vegetables aren’t always the first thing we think of when we’re looking for a quick bite. But, with a bit of preparation, there are hundreds of delicious and healthy snacks that are energizing and fulfilling. 

Before I get started, there’s something you must know. Sure, healthy eating means getting nutrients from fruits, vegetables and other whole foods — but it also means eating foods that make you happy and never restricting yourself because you think it will make you look or feel a certain way. Caring for your mind and nurturing your self-image should always reign supreme over your diet. Food is your friend, not your enemy. Always remember to be kind to yourself, and only do and eat what will make you feel happy and fulfilled!

Since I started eating a predominately vegan diet five years ago, I’ve found dozens of creative ways to snack on whole foods. Here are 8 of my favorite vegan snack recipes that fulfill and energize both my body and mind:

No Bake Brownies

What you’ll need:

3 tbsp oat flour 

1 tbsp cocoa powder

1 tbsp coconut oil

1 tbsp applesauce 

1-2 tbsp sweetener

As many vegan chocolate chips as you want

All you need to do for this recipe is mix the ingredients, grab small handfuls of dough (2-3 tbsps is best) and place them in the freezer for 20 minutes. They’re easy and absolutely delicious!

Crispy Vegan Sushi Balls

I found this recipe from one of my favorite vegan Tik Tokers, @ballehurns. It’s one of my favorites!

What you’ll need:

2 cups of white rice

1 tsp vinegar

EBTB seasoning (you can find this at Trader Joe’s)

1ft by 1ft of plastic wrap

1 cup shredded vegetables of choice

1 tbsp vegan cream cheese

Extra firm tofu

2 tbsp olive oil

Here’s how to make them:

Mix together the rice, vinegar and EBTB seasoning in a bowl. Set aside.

Mix together your shredded vegetables, vegan cream cheese and tofu in a separate bowl. Set aside.

Spread a handful of rice over the plastic wrap.

Place a spoonful of your vegetable mixture on top of the rice.

Use your plastic wrap to mold your rice and vegetables into a ball, and tightly squeeze it.

Repeat steps 3 to 6 until you have used up all of your ingredients. You should have around 4 sushi balls.

Pour the olive oil in a saute pan and place your sushi balls in the pan over medium heat. Allow the sushi balls to crisp, and then roll them over to the other side. 

Remove them from the pan, let cool and enjoy!

Strawberry Banana Smoothie

What you’ll need:

½ cup of ice

1 cup of vanilla oat milk

1 cup of strawberries

1 whole banana

1 scoop of vanilla protein powder

A handful of baby spinach

¼ tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp of flaxseed 

You already know it! Just blend all the ingredients above together in a blender and enjoy.

PB&J Apple Nachos

This was one of the first snack recipes I tried, and it’s one of my favorites when I’m in a hurry.

Here’s what you’ll need:

1 large apple

2 tbsp melted peanut butter (almond butter or cashew butter also work great)

2 tbsp melted jelly of choice 

1 tsp chia seeds

To make them, just slice your apples, put them on a plate, and drizzle the peanut butter, jelly and chia seeds on top!

Avocado and Tomato Bruschetta

Here’s what you’ll need:

3 slices of bruschetta bread

1 ripe avocado

A handful of chopped cherry tomatoes

1 tsp balsamic vinegar

1 clove of minced garlic

Chopped fresh basil

Salt and pepper

Here’s how to make it:

Mix the cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and garlic in a bowl and set aside.

Mash the avocado and spread it evenly onto the bread.

Place the cherry tomato mix on top of the avocado.

Lightly sprinkle on the fresh basil, salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

This recipe is so fulfilling and easy to make!

Sweet Rice Cakes

This recipe is my go to when I’m in a rush or I’m looking for something a bit sweet.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Whole grain rice cakes

Almond butter

Plant based sweetener 

Yup, that’s it! Just spread the almond butter over the rice cakes and drizzle on the plant based sweetener. It’s quick and always satisfies my sweet tooth.

Trail Mix

If you’re always on the go, making your own trail mix to pack in your backpack or purse is a quick and simple snack that will curve your hunger.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Dried raisins 

Your favorite nuts

Dried fruits

Vegan chocolate chips

Pretzels

Anything else you like in your trail mix!

The great thing about making your own trail mix is that you can add anything you want. I always make it in huge quantities, and it lasts for weeks and keeps me from grabbing an unhealthy snack as I’m running out the door. 

Almond Butter Balls

These are amazing! I discovered these when my mom tried out a Whole 30 diet, and they are so delicious.

Here’s what you’ll need:

2 cups medjool dates

¼ tsp sea salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

¼ cup raw almond butter

¼ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes

¼ cup hemp seeds

Here’s how to make it:

In a food processor, combine the dates, salt, vanilla extract and raw almond butter for 2 minutes. 

In a small bowl, combine the coconut flakes and help seeds.

Using your hands, roll the date mixture into 1-inch balls. 

Roll the balls in the coconut and hemp seed mixture. 

Freeze for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Happy snacking!

Jenna Stockman is a writer for SCU's Her Campus chapter. She is a sophomore pursuing a degree in Communication and Women's and Gender Studies. She is a passionate dancer and intersectional feminist, and she finds joy in staying active and creating meaningful connections with others.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!