4 Ways To Make Your Mornings Productive as a Quarantined College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Before quarantine, I didn’t consider myself to be a morning person in the slightest. I used to be the type of person to complain if I had a class before 10:00 a.m. If I managed to drag myself out of bed for that ruthless 8:00 a.m. class, I would set an alarm for 7:40 a.m. This would give me exactly 10 minutes to get ready and another to walk to my class. Although I managed to attend Zoom lectures, I became painfully aware that I’m simply not a morning person

After moving to online classes, I found myself struggling to get up even 20 minutes before my scheduled class. It’s so much easier to stay in bed, reach for my laptop, and log onto Zoom. After a few months of this same routine, I decided it was time to make a change. Because early morning classes are inevitable, here are four things that I have found to make it easier to get out of bed and get my day started.

Don’t check your phone right when you wake up

This one is harder than it sounds. It can be so tempting to press snooze on your alarm, pick up your phone and immediately check social media. By restricting yourself from browsing social media and catching up on what you missed during the few hours you were asleep, you’re able to collect your own thoughts in the morning. This will allow you to depict what you want to accomplish that day without being bombarded by the stress of notifications that can oftentimes be overwhelming. You will be able to prioritize more clearly and start your day off on the right track.

Make your bed

Many people see this as a chore, but trust me, there is a lot more to this one. I never saw the point in making my bed because I knew I would be crawling back into it at the end of the day anyway. But truth be told, making your bed has the power to set the tone of your entire day. Although it may seem like a minor task, when you make your bed first thing in the morning, it’s an accomplishment. Your room will feel more organized, which can only increase your productivity for the day.

Drink a glass of water

If you know me, you know that I pretty much only drink water. That being said, this isn’t something I have to be mindful about. However, I have many friends who don’t drink enough water throughout their day. Make it a habit to drink a glass of water as part of your morning routine. You have been sleeping for (hopefully eight or more) hours and your body needs to rehydrate. By incorporating a glass of water either while you get ready or with your breakfast, trust me, your body will thank you.

Go for a walk

Now, exercise is not something I’m super passionate about, but I will do the occasional YouTube workout from time to time. Since I am not a fitness enthusiast, I have made a point to go on a daily walk. Similar to my point about making your bed, going on a walk is another activity that will make you feel accomplished. Not only are you getting some steps in, but you’re also breathing in some fresh air. Now, you will feel more motivated to get things done, especially since your day has only just begun.

There is no such thing as a perfect morning routine. Sometimes we have to adjust to what life throws at us. But, by trying to incorporate even one of these activities into your morning, I promise you’ll feel more productive throughout the day.

Lina Rader is a 2nd year at Santa Clara University pursuing a double major in Psychology and Political Science. She enjoys iced chai and long car rides with friends and is passionate about helping others to improve their mental health.
Meghana Reddy is the Campus Correspondent for the SCU chapter of Her Campus. Currently, she is a 4th year student pursuing a Major in Neuroscience and Minor in Computer Science. Meghana is passionate about women in entrepreneurship, consulting, healthcare, women's health, and dogs! In her free time, she loves to travel, try new foods, and practice yoga!