The Right to Write

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Because we’re deep in NaNoWriMo, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to talk some more about writing! 

If you’re into creative writing you’re probably familiar with the self-doubt and fear that comes over us. Trust me, were you not insecure I’d say your inflated sense of self has deceived you into thinking you’re the greatest writer alive. Not so.

Good writing is born from bad writing, you must first wade through the mud to reach the river. Like everything interesting, writing is not something you learn within a day. The greatest literary geniuses devoted their entire lives to honing their craft.

Think of it this way: if you’re a serious writer, you’ll have homework every night for the rest of your life. 

Writing is therapeutic. It is also frustrating but one of the most rewarding activities I know. Words spread magic into the universe. They float and swirl and spin, often arousing a part of us that’s been slumbering deep within.

Think about it: magic is bringing to life characters that only exist in your head. It is a beautiful sensation, that of knowing you just birthed an idea. 

But, I reiterate, writing is hard. If you find that words are pouring out of you easily, you’re probably relying on clichés. There’s no greater sin than to blend the unoriginal with the original. Do not do it.

I usually follow former New York Times columnist Verlyn Klinkenborg’s advice and craft sentences in my head until I’m satisfied with them. Otherwise, into the trash they go.

“Bring the sentence you’re working on as close to its final state before you write it down,” advises Klinkenborg. Though it is possible to write polished sentences in a first draft, it is something I have not yet mastered.

We’ll continue writing bad sentences, but that’s okay, because, in the process, we’re also honing our craft. As Anne Lamott said: “For me and most of the other writers I know, writing is not rapturous. In fact, the only way I can get anything written at all is to write really, really shi**y first drafts.”

So give yourself permission to write badly, to rummage through the trash until you find that one precious gem you’ve been desperately hunting for. It is okay to write five pages of horrible writing if it means you’ll come across that one beautiful thing. 

If writing were easy, it’d be boring. It is fun and satisfying precisely because it is challenging. Declutter your head, find a spot you like, and write on! Give yourself the right to write, because, trust me, it’s our inherent right, and that is something no one can strip us of. 

Cover

GIF: 1, 2, 3

Gema is a sophomore English major at SCSU. She's obsessed with writing and has a slight addiction to buying books.