Tips on beating the spring semester struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As the holidays end, the New Year’s ball drops and we lay in our childhood room once more. We are challenged with the school semester once again. As a sophomore in college, the feeling of getting back into the school semester can be difficult. To go from stressing with finals, relaxing, seeing friends and family you haven’t seen in a while it seems like you won’t be able to get back into the school spirit. While getting back is hard, I have some tips and tricks to help you and me get started on a great semester!

Decorate your dorm room

This is one tip that I can’t stress enough! Making your room a fun and relaxing place allows you to come back after a stressful day of classes with peace of mind. Something I do especially for my homesick girlies, is to take pictures of friends and family from your hometown and make a photo collage. It’s even better if you put it where you can see it from your bed! This way, you’ll feel closer to them if you miss home. Something this small can make a big difference.

Create a planner

I know for me the hardest part about returning to school is how overwhelming it can feel. Between new classes, syllabi, and books you have to order, it may feel like you will never be able to do it all. This is why I recommend planners! Whether it be on a whiteboard, your computer or on paper it is a good idea to write down class schedules, upcoming assignments and plans for breaks. The more you see an organized plan for what the semester might bring, the more it will help you feel less overwhelmed.

Allow brain breaks

I’m sure that everyone’s been told to take a break before, but that’s because they’re very important. While I am not always one to take breaks in stressful times, I can see the difference in my mental health when I do compared to when I don’t. You can use your planner to schedule designated times when you should give your brain a break. This can look like reading a book, calling friends or family, or even taking a nap. Even make time to go out and do activities with friends!

Do work in a space that allows for fewer distractions

Professors sometimes tend to jump right into assignments even if the semester just started. Get a head start and begin the semester in a productive way. This could mean

finding a spot on campus, or at home that allows for no distractions. This allows you to focus on the task at hand to complete it sooner and properly. Give yourself times to be done and times to start.

Try your best!

There are many expectations when it comes to college. It feels like you’re constantly being pestered with questions: Are you getting good grades? Are you getting involved? Are you going out? Try to stop focusing on what others expect of your, and instead, remember that putting in your best effort is enough. Don’t let those expectations become stressors. Be the best for yourself and not others!

Hi my name is Allison! I am an Occupational Therapy major! Some of my interest includes makeup, shopping and music. One thing about me is I am a huge Taylor Swift fan, so if you're a swiftie come read my articles!