Tips for Keeping Your Head Above the Sea of Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s nearing that time again…Some of us, or at least me, have managed to avoid the super stressful weeks of huge workloads and demanding schedules. However, with dead week approaching, it can be very easy to succumb to the frustration of deadlines and finals. And with the weather getting to be freezing up here, there’s not really an escape, is there? Now, I may not always get through finals week without a breakdown or two, but I do have a trick or two up my sleeve to kind of alleviate some of that finals week stress.

1. Take a walk during a study break

This is really helpful during the long sessions of hard studying or cramming. Find a friend or put some earbuds in and listen to your favorite music. I know I like taking the time to aimlessly wander the buildings for ten minutes while I digest the information I just read and take a much needed breather. Plus, music helps to put some space between you and the page.

2. Drink lots of water

So, I get that finals week is basically sponsored by coffee and no sleep, but that doesn’t mean you automatically neglect what your body is telling you. If you need a break, take one; if you need food, go get it. There’s no point in harming your body or withholding resources, while also forcing it to perform at top rate. 

3. Take one night to spend with your friends

I know it may be hard with all the different schedules you and your friends may have, but one of the things that always calms me down from a serious work binge is time spent with the people I care about. Maybe that’s in the form of a Chinese food binge or a quick trip to first floor. Either way, spending time with those around you can help take your mind off whatever you’re doing for a little bit. 

4. Self-care

This is more of a blanket tip, but by self-care, I basically mean anything you can do at home, whether that’s a face mask, or a long relaxing shower or bath. I know I like doing face masks and hair masks at the same time so I can really wind down and light some candles to relax. Granted, doing these things can get a little tricky at school or in the dorms, but there’s always a way…

5. Talk to someone

The greatest advice I’ve probably received is talking to someone when stressed. Ideally, talking to anyone would help because it’s putting yourself in a better mindset and opening yourself up to comments and critiques about your life. Personally, seeing a therapist has allowed me to gain control over my organization, schooling, anxiety and so much more. If you’re stressed or down or blue, and a therapist is out of reach, there’s always friends or free, online services that are available to help you.

So, there’s a handful of tips and tricks from someone finishing their fifth semester of college. Dead week and finals week are always hard for everyone, even those with significantly less finals than everyone else (hi, it me). Still, I wish everyone nothing but positivity and wishes towards good grades. We’re almost there!

Brooke is a junior studying English Literature and finishing her minors in Psychology and Writing. She's constantly finding new ways to appreciate herself and the world around her. Having self published an anthology her freshman year, this Pennsylvania native is looking forward to strengthening her writing and finding ways to beat her writer's block.
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.