This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

We’ve all been there: your professor thinks their class is the only one you are taking, and they assign about a week’s worth of work for you to do from Monday to Wednesday. It seems overwhelming and impossible, leaving you feeling like your brain is going to burst if you read just one more word. What if I told you there are simple ways to ease the stress on your mind and body?

Here are some tips for just getting that homework done. 

1. Read your syllabus ahead of time

I know it seems silly but being aware of the homework before it approaches can really help ease the stress of when it comes up. If you look ahead on your syllabus, you can remain aware of approaching due dates and assignments, so you can actively plan for the larger assignments

2. Set a timer

Sometimes, reading, writing, and studying can seem like they will never end. Chunking your time on task can help ease this! Set a timer for the amount of time you can really stay focused. For example, set a twenty-minute timer and just get through those twenty minutes. When the alarm goes off, go ahead and take a five-minute breather! You deserve it. This can help you feel like you are making progress, and it can help you keep your focus on one task at a time.

3. Get a study buddy

You have to be careful with this one. When I say to get a study buddy, don’t automatically invite your best friend over to chat and work. This can go wrong quickly if you are a chatty person. Rather, invite someone over that has similar work, or you know would put you back on task if you started getting distracted. Sometimes, having someone to keep you accountable can really help you focus.

4. Work on your own time

Don’t try to force yourself to stay up until four in the morning reading about philosophy. I can almost promise you that this will lead to no comprehension and just more fatigue the next day. Instead, work at the times you feel the most awake. If you have a period between classes that you are free, use this to work instead of scrolling through social media. You’re already in work-mode, why not take advantage of that? If you are a night owl, go ahead and stay up, but make sure you are actually using that time to create useful progress.

5. Put your phone down

One of the worst things you can do for yourself is to keep your phone on your desk as you are trying to complete homework. Just knowing it is there is enough to distract you. Turning it off, or at least on “Do Not Disturb” is a great start. The best thing you can do is to put it out of your reach, and better yet, out of sight! Out of sight, out of mind, meaning you can put all your energy into creating quality work.

6. Don’t work on your bed

Bed is a place for sleep, not homework. Keeping these two things separate is vital to healthy work and sleep habits. If you’re reading fifty pages of a psychology textbook while sitting in bed, chances are your brain will take that as a signal to rest, making it even harder to focus. Also, the more you separate work from sleep, the more your mind will begin to know when it’s “go-time” and when it’s time to rest.

These tips are a good starting point to make begin to create healthy study habits. The most important thing is to listen to your body and mind. If you are constantly exhausted, it’s time to evaluate your habits. The best thing to do is create these healthy habits and maintain a routine of work, play, and rest. So, take these tips, go forth, and become a better student!

Bree Wolff

Scranton '23

Secondary education & English major with a love of cats & spooky things