Taylor Swift’s Famous Chai Sugar Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Anyone else ready for the holiday season? I know that I am!

In 2014, Taylor Swift dazzled her fans at the 1989 Secret Sessions with her chai sugar cookies. Afterwards, Swifties ran to tell their friends about her amazing recipe. A couple days later, Taylor posted a handwritten recipe for the world.

I’ve made these cookies for years and they are the most delicious and simple treat for the holiday season! Although Taylor’s recipe is amazing as is, I personally have made it more of my own throughout the years. I will be adding some of my own advice for a more enhanced cookie!

Ingredients For Cookies:

– ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature

– ½ cup vegetable oil

– ½ sugar (+ more for the topping!)

– ½ cup powdered sugar

– 1 large egg

– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

– 2 cups flour

– ½ teaspoon baking soda

– ½ teaspoon salt

– 1 chai tea bag (or two if you’d like a more flavorful cookie compared to a subtle flavor)

*For a simpler recipe you can use sugar cookie bag mix and add the tea bag to the dry mix before adding wet ingredients*

Ingredients For Icing:

– 1 cup powdered sugar

– ¼ cup nutmeg

– ¼ teaspoon cinnamon

– 3 tablespoons milk of choice (I prefer oat milk)

– (For enhanced flavor, consider adding a teaspoon or two of chai into your icing)

Steps:

– Preheat oven at 350 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet

– Beat butter and add vegetable oil

– Add sugar, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla extract

– Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and contents of tea bag

– Chill dough for at least an hour

– Line cookie sheet with 12 dough balls

– Press down on dough balls for a flat effect and sprinkle each with extra sugar

– Bake for approximately 9 minutes (I prefer 7 minutes so they’re softer)

– While baking mix powdered sugar with nutmeg, cinnamon, and milk to create icing

– Allow cookies to cool before putting icing on top

– Lightly sprinkle cinnamon and/or sprinkles for decoration!

Brenna Parker

Scranton '25

Hey :) I'm Brenna and I'm a junior English major, communications minor. I'm honored to be the editor of our Scranton Chapter of HerCampus!