neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Struggles of Being a Cashier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Being a cashier can be seriously grueling at times. There are some days where I would rather hide under a rock than go to work. Here are some serious struggles that cashiers typically go through during a shift: 

1. When the customer asks you for the fifth time why their item rang up twice when you already voided it off:

2.) When you say “Hi, how are you?” to the customer and they give you a blank stare:

3.) When the customer makes you call over a manager for a $0.25 coupon when there are 4 other people waiting behind them in your line:

4.) When the manager makes you go on that one register that everyone in the entire store seems to go to:

5.) Lastly, one of the worst struggles is when people try to come through your line when your light is off, and the “closed” sign is up:

There are those days when the customers really can make your shift terrible. But, when I see beautiful things like someone’s card declining and the person behind them paying for all their things or when someone opens up to me about their life, it makes my job worth it.

Lauryn Beermann

Scranton '22

Lauryn is a Junior Health Promotion major with a minor in Counseling & Human Services at the University of Scranton. She enjoys writing, photography, traveling, and fashion. You can follow her journey on Instagram @laurynelizabethb
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.