This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Reflecting on the past few years, I’ve noticed that most of the time I am always bending over backwards for people who would not show the same energy. It would be so easy for me to drop everything and try to talk to a person or spend quality time with them, but they would not take the time out of their day to do the same.

Now, this doesn’t apply to people who actually have things going on in their lives nor does this mean that everyone’s world is supposed to revolve around me. I’m particularly applying this to people, for example, who clearly show that they have time to talk to anyone else but when it comes to you, they’re just “too busy” to talk to you.

This is especially annoying if the person knows what they’re doing but continues to do so. Another example is when they are hot-and-cold with you. One day, they’re acting like your best friend, then the next day, they seem to pretend that they don’t know you, then they suddenly treat you like a close friend afterwards.

It’s so easy to get caught up in the situation because you fear that they don’t like you or it has you trying to connect puzzle pieces to figure out why they are treating you the way that you are (calling myself out). Nevertheless, it’s important to realize that it’s not worth the time, specifically when it comes to a person that is purposely giving you mixed signals.

Stressing out about wanting to spend time with a person will get you nowhere. You shouldn’t have to be a puppet for them to take advantage of you and allow them to pick and choose how they should treat you.

You can always confront the person about the situation, but if you’re non-confrontational like me you can always choose to keep the peace by letting go of the situation (which takes time depending on the circumstance).

Many people handle these types of situations differently, but it’s always helpful to remember that a person’s behavior towards you should not take hold on your life

Johanna Rene

Scranton '23

Hi! I'm Johanna :) I'm a senior neuroscience major. I hope you guys find my articles to be interesting!