This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

My HC girls,

I’m here to tell you, ride the low.

On this valentine’s day, everyone’s grasping for their significant others – partners and friends alike. But for those of you who aren’t feeling the love this year, even if it’s flooding your inboxes, ask yourselves why?

Odds are, the hurt is there for a reason. Subconsciously, our inner world may be fighting with the outer one, and we may not even be listening. That can become exhausting very quickly, and we often desensitize or distract ourselves in order to compartmentalize our feelings…

When you find that place within yourself that hurts, I want you to do something revolutionary… I want you to sit with it.

I want you to ride the low tide with a wave of compassion. Imagine this compassion as a wave of light, feeling its warmth inside your chest. Take a deep breath as you feel the warmth expand across your entire chest. Imagine this wave coming across the tender wounds on your heart, the ones that burn a little when you mention them by name.

The current is gentle, and the water soothes the burns, washing aways all of the fears that have held you back from beholding yourself. Strip yourself of everything you’ve ever constructed and meet… Her.

This is a blessing in your favor. Embrace it with gratitude: the return to yourself. Be gentle with Her. Really listen to Her. Then…. take your time, and rebuild your home.

Carry your heart with you into every tomorrow, because love is not just for St. Valentine. Love is who you really are.

Sincerely yours,

Jamie Santiago

Orgullosa Afro-Latina at the University of Scranton who was born in Puerto Rico and grew up in Scranton. I am here to challenge, educate, and make you laugh all in one sitting. International-language Business & Philosophy Major "You've got to jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury