FSU Dorm
FSU Dorm
Alyce Rogers
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This week, this week, well it marks a milestone for me. A milestone both physically and emotionally.  

This week, I am a junior in college. This week, I am a junior in college who is tackling the Spring 2021 semester. Next year, I am a senior. It truly is incredible just how fast time flies. I could say that the time flew by because I was having fun. But that would be a lie. Yes, sure, a lot of the time was fun. While, other times, I basked in the glory of misery. And when I refer to misery I am not talking about a double shift at work, no time to eat, two exam type of misery. I am referring to that type of misery when you physically feel the depths of despair flowing in your veins; a vicious, blood-sucking, energy- eating monster determined to destroy all motivation. 

So, in honor of that type of misery, I vow to myself this semester, I vow to myself this in this life, that I will have fun. I do not want time to fly, but if it does I’d prefer the fun over the misery. This semester, I vow to myself that I will not get stressed out and if I do, I will find a healthy way to cope with the stress. This semester, I vow to myself, that I will not only work hard, but play hard. This semester, I vow to myself that I will learn how to not only love myself, but how to love myself with passion. This semester, I vow to myself I will focus on me. This semester, I vow to myself that I will wear joggers every day, but style them with grace, elegance and a little bit of edge. 

This semester, I vow to myself that I will breathe. I will breathe when I am upset. I will breathe when I am overwhelmed. I will breathe when I feel the weight of the universe pressing down on my shoulder. And I will breathe to admire the small moments. Because if there is anything that I have learned these past few years, it is that the small moments matter the most. Small moments such as eating a meal with roommates, laughing with friends while doing laundry, or even heading home for a surprise visit to the family.  

I have made a lot of promises to myself over the years. However, I believe that these promises are simple. There is no underlying message to these vows. There is no series of epic consequences if I choose to break my word. I made these vows to help me live life with more ease, and dare I say- a more carefree attitude. So, stay tuned, I’ll be back in a few weeks with an update.  

Xoxo,  

The girl sitting at her desk…. in joggers  

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.