This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Self-care isn’t always what it is cracked up to be. For years, we have seen self-care being portrayed as going to the salon, getting mani pedis, getting your hair done, etc but that’s not always the case. I’ve been really terrible with my self-care these past few years not because I didn’t know how to do it but simply because I didn’t care enough. Sometimes life gets in the way of things and throws things at you that take much longer to stride through than you expected and that is completely alright but during those times, sometimes we forget how to take care of ourselves or even how to motivate ourselves to get up. It’s not bad to lay in bed all day here and there, when it is really needed that is, but it’s not good for it to be an everyday thing. That’s how it was with me. It was a struggle to get out of bed, a struggle to eat or even brush my teeth or shower- the necessities. It was a struggle to even go on my phone sometimes because I would just be so exhausted with life that I couldn’t bare to see even more terrible things in the world. 

Self-care isn’t what it is cracked up to be though and I didn’t realise that what I did realise though is that I couldn’t live like this. I needed to get better, that I am the author of my life and I make how I want my life to be. So, I got up out of bed and showered. It’s crazy that a simple shower could feel so good, could help you feel so at peace with yourself. The feeling of washing your hair and just simply cleansing your body underneath a rain of constant warm water, of being alone with just you and your thoughts or even with music, can do so much. I went for a walk with my dog, I ate a healthier alternative and I even gave myself some time to do some of the things I loved and after all of that, I felt better. It feels better to do the little things, even the necessities to take care of yourself. Self-care is self-care, it is caring for yourself, for your mind, body and energy. It is giving yourself the praise that you didn’t even know you truly needed. Self-care is not just saying, it’s doing. Go walk your dog or put on makeup, put on an outfit that makes you feel like an absolute queen despite occasion, bake brownies or go for a long drive with blaring music. Self-care is what you make of it, it’s what you do that shows you care for not only your body, but your mind and soul.

My name is Leandria Hercules and I am currently a senior at the University of Scranton, with a major in Journalism and Electronic Media and a minor in Business Communication. Currently I spend my free time on writing my upcoming book and achieving little steps towards my future goals. Feel free to add me on Instagram @leandria_ev831 where I post food content and my daily life!
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.