clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mid-College Crisis: You’re Not Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

To state it bluntly, I was always smart. I still am smart. I have always excelled in the classroom, particularly in the sciences. Often times, teachers and mentors associate intelligence with a future career of being a doctor. That’s where my story starts.

I have always been most encouraged in chemistry, biology, and physics. Intelligence is even most associated with these fields. These fields are also most associated with being a doctor. So, it comes to no surprise, that since I was a sophomore in high school, I have been groomed and pushed towards pursuing a science major in college and to medical school following college. This may sound as if I didn’t want this for myself as well, but I certainly did. At least, at the time, that’s all I ever thought I wanted.

But last year, as a junior in college, I began to question this. Maybe I questioned it because the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) was rapidly approaching, maybe I questioned it because I needed to gather recommendation letters soon, or maybe I questioned it because I genuinely was unsure of myself and my future. I questioned this all throughout junior year and even at the start of the summer. I even began the summer still studying and preparing for the MCAT.      

Eventually, amidst half-hearted studying, I realized I wasn’t prepared for the steps following college towards fulfilling a career as a doctor. I realized I still wanted what I had always wanted, to be in the medical field. My goal had never changed, but the path had changed. I decided to set down all my books and flashcards from Kaplan for the MCAT and picked up all the books and flashcards from Barron’s for the GRE (Graduate Record Examinations). I studied all summer for the GRE and researched all summer in the lab to enhance myself as an applicant for my next step after college.

I will now be working towards my Master’s degree in biochemistry followed by medical school. Just two more years. All I really needed. Two more years to grow as an applicant, but most importantly, to grow as a person. By taking a step back, which was incredibly daunting, and realizing that while I wasn’t quite ready for what I had always planned, I found that it was okay for me to take the time I needed to become ready. Even as a senior now, my plans are still not set in stone. Things are changing little by little each day. My path is constantly altering. But I am always working towards my goal, a medical career.

Kassaundra Thiel is an avid coffee drinker and fashion fanatic attending the University of Scranton seeking a degree in Biochemistry, with a minor in Philosophy. 
Julia Wardeh

Scranton '19

Julia Wardeh is a senior studying pre-medicine at the University of Scranton. This will be her second year as president and CC of Her Campus Scranton, which she hopes to elevate and expand. In her free time, Julia enjoys working as a barista, reading novels, and looking at the latest memes.