This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

We fall in love all the time. But there are three real important times we do so.  Below are my personal experiences and thoughts about the three different types of love:    

First Love  

Typically, this occurs at a younger age in life. Here, you and your partner simply drift apart or break up over something trivial. Once you get a little older, you’ll look back and might believe that you really were not in love. However, the truth is you were in love. It was just the kind of love that you thought was love at the time.  

For me, this love came in high school. I thought my partner was it for me. I really thought  him, and I were meant to be together forever. But  when things ended it hurt…. but I bounced back quickly. This is the love that  teaches you what you truly value and want in a relationship.   

Second Love  

This is the  hard  love. This time you will realllly feel the pain of heartbreak. In this love, you learn some valuable lessons that will make you wiser and stronger. Normally, this love involves some kind of intense  pain,  lies, drama, damage, and/or betrayal. Despite all of this, it is this love that lets us grow and understand what we really love about love itself. After this love, you can see a difference between good humans and bad humans in the world. This love lets you blossom and develop into the person you’ve always been capable of being.  

My second love was especially difficult. When we broke up, I couldn’t see how I could possibly move on. At the time he was my everything, and I lost a boyfriend and a best friend. This love tends to break you… However, in the  end, you come back stronger and surer about yourself than ever before.  Although pain comes with your second love, this love provides you time to explore who you are and what makes you happy by yourself.   

Third Love  

This love comes blindly and without trying. There is no  warning, and it sneaks up on you. Here you don’t go seeking love, love seeks you. Despite any wall you put up, this love will knock it down. You find yourself caring deeply about this person without trying. They don’t usually resemble your normal type, but you get lost in their presence and eyes every day. You see beauty in both their perfections and imperfectionsYou become completely vulnerable with them and you want it all with them; they feel like your endgame. You thank God or the universe for them every day because they are the person you truly are in love with.   

A person can have many people they consider to be their third love. Right now, I am with someone I believe is my third love. I’m with a man I never expected or sought out to find.  Someone who swept me off my feet from the very first time I met him. A person who I can truly see myself being in love with for a  long  time.   

Love is one of the most complex, yet simple, experiences we go through as humans. It can lift you up SO high and drop you to lower than you ever thought possible. Love to me, is one of the greatest gifts’ life has to offer.   

Kelly Goria

Scranton '22

Kelly is a junior Counseling and Human Services major at the University of Scranton. You can expect to find her listening to country music or writing if she isn't on a run or spending time with her friends. She loves to explore and take on new experiences as well as volunteer. 
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.