Jake Kanavy’s Dreams Come True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Before becoming a Finance fanatic Jake always dreamed of being a celebrity. His dreams have been answered… sort of. Jake Kanavy won’t be walking down a red carpet but he has been honored as our campus celebrity. He graduated this past December from The University and was offered a job at Goldman Sach’s starting the end of February. Read more to learn more about Jake and what the future holds for him.

Name: Jake KanavyYear: Winter 2014Major: FinanceHometown: Archbald, PA (a.k.a: “Townie” in Jake’s eyes)

Why did you choose The University of Scranton?They say that life is what happens when you are busy making plans. My college selection speaks to this adage. I came to The University for the physical therapy program and cross country team. Three and a half years later, I graduated a finance major that only runs to the fridge when I need a refill.

What clubs and activities are you involved in at the U?I was very fortunate to experience many walks of campus during my tenure at The University. My former years I was involved in the orientation program, USPB and Varsity Cross Country. This past semester I was the business editor of the Aquinas, a head portfolio manager of our student fund (P.R.I.S.M), member of the Alpha Sigma Nu and Omicron Delta Epsilon National Honor Societies, President of the Finance Club and assisted in the planning and organization of the second annual Young Alumni Day.

Has Goldman Sachs always been your dream job?As a finance major, I am ecstatic to have been afforded the opportunity to work at one of the most prestigious financial firms. Working there this summer, I met many employees who taught me what it means to put 110% into everything you do. Growing up, I wanted to be an NFL quarterback or a celebrity. The former ship has sailed, but I am still hopeful that something may stick on the famous front. 

When/How did you find out you will be working at Goldman Sachs?I went through a recruiting process similar to many students in the finance and accounting program at The University of Scranton. I interviewed with many firms throughout junior year and was offered a summer internship with Goldman Sachs in late January. I completed a ten week summer program and was made an offer to return full-time right before the start of the fall semester. All of the opportunities that were presented to me throughout the job and internship process were made possible by the alumni of The University of Scranton. I hope to one day give back to students of The University who seek a career in finance.

When will you start working at Goldman Sachs?My start date is set for the end of February. I hope to sharpen some of my skills, particularly with the Microsoft Office suite in the meantime. I also plan to spend time with my classmates who are yet to graduate. I accept the stereotype of being the creepy old man on campus.

What will be your role and job title at Goldman Sachs?I will be an Analyst in the Operations division.

How does it feel to be graduated from college and taking on the real world?My father always told me that after any successful endeavor one should be sad to move on, but excited to take the next step. I can truly say that my time at The University of Scranton has taught me who I am as a person and has readied me for whatever comes next.

We wish Jake the best of luck in his future endeavors and look forward to seeing this “creepy old man” on campus soon. 

Megan was born in NYC and is the youngest of four. She moved to a small town, Glen Rock, NJ shortly after her arrival. She graduated from The University of Scranton in May of 2015 with a BA in strategic communication. At the University, Megan was a member of the women's soccer team and a writer and feature story editor for HC Scranton. Megan is very active and takes on all sorts of fitness classes. Megan enjoys being surrounded by friends and family and going to her lake house on Brant Lake in the Adirondacks during the summer (ignore Blair Waldorf... the Adirondacks is a BEAUTIFUL place to vacation!)
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_