Wellness

How to Practice Self-Care as a College Student on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

While college is a time in our lives full of new experiences, self-discovery, and making new friends, it can also come with challenges. The piles of homework, hours of studying, sleep deprivation, and endless responsibilities never seem to lessen no matter how much you get done from day-to-day. Self-care is something that tends to fall towards the bottom of our insanely long to-do lists, if it even makes it on there. It can be extremely difficult, especially as college students, to carve time out of our busy schedules to take even a few minutes to relax and do something nice for ourselves—not to mention how pricey it can be to treat yourself to getting highlights, going on a shopping spree, getting an acrylic manicure, going to the movies with your friends, etc. Here are some ways that you can be kind to your mind (and wallet!):

1. Do a spa night! Grab some nail polish, face masks, and hair masks from any local convenience store or light a few candles and take a bubble bath.

2. Watch a movie or start a new show on Netflix or Hulu! If you don’t have any of these streaming services, maybe watch with a roommate or friend who does (:

3. Do a technology detox for a few hours! Put your phone down and start a new book, color, or do yoga without being worried about who looked at your Snapchat story or how many likes your Instagram psot got.

4. Go on a hike with some friends! Find a new spot to explore in town or nearby.

5. Call a family member or friend that you haven’t spoken to in a while! Catching up with your loved ones can be the best kind of therapy, and it’s FREE!

6. Paint something! You can use anything you have at home—a canvas, an old record, thrifted jeans, or an old pair of sneakers. All you need to buy is paint of your choice and a paintbrush.

7. Meditate! Find a guided meditation online or meditate on your own or with your friends.

8. Take a nap!

9. Journal! Grab a notebook and start writing about how your day went, how you’re feeling in that moment or do some self-reflection. You can also find journal entry prompts online if you’re stuck.

10. Clean or rearrange your room! Change your bed sheets, declutter, put away your laundry, or redecorate your room.

I hope that you try some of these ideas and remind yourself that self-care is just as important as everything else on your busy to-do list. Happy self-care!

Annie Murphy

Scranton '23

I am a Counseling & Human Services major and have a minor in Spanish at the University of Scranton. In my free time, I love to spend time with my family and friends and go to the beach!