harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How a Small Campus Can Make You Feel Trapped Sometimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Let me preface this article by stating that I love my school. I truly believe that I made the best decision of my life by choosing to come to Scranton in terms of academics, beauty, convenience and the people. However, sometimes I feel as though this school can be so small, too small.I feel confined, trapped and suffocated- sometimes I feel like I need to get away.

Passing the same familiar faces has its upsides. You feel a sense of community. Yet, sometimes the faces, or face you want to avoid keeps popping up. The face haunts you, torments you, makes you feel as though you’re trapped. The size of the campus makes you feel as though you’re locked up in a metal cage and under close observation. 

Dating on campus. Don’t even get me started. Oh boy does a breakup complicate the situation. Your ex knows your schedule and takes full advantage of the size of the campus to watch your every move. Paranoia fills your head, your heart races, your hair stands on end, and you begin to become hyperaware of your surroundings. 

At times when I feel like a lab rat under observation, I know that I have to breathe, go home, and relax for the weekend before I can start anew. A small campus has its up sides as well as its downsides. But I think that with any university regardless of size that it’s important to go home and clear your headspace every once in a while.

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.