Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Maintain A Healthy Long-Distance Relationship During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

During the past month of quarantine, I’ve seen several couples that I know break up or on the verge of breaking up because they can’t handle the distance. If you feel like your relationship is becoming unhealthy or difficult because of the lack of physical attention, don’t worry! Coming from someone who has been doing long distance for the past few months, I got you, and I can help save your relationship. Here are a few ways to keep up a good and healthy relationship in unfortunate (but temporary) times like these. 

FaceTime your partner as often as possible

I put this as number one because it is what my boyfriend and I do the most. For the past four months, my boyfriend and I spent almost every minute of every day on Facetime. We even sleep on FaceTime every night and wake up on FaceTime every morning! Of course, this is quite excessive and reasonable if most couples don’t want to do that. The point is, spend a lot of your free time on the phone with your partner. Even if you aren’t constantly talking, it’s nice to still do your own thing while on the phone. Even though we can’t physically give attention to our partner, it is still important to spend as much virtual time as possible with them. 

Enjoy some virtual activities with your partner

My boyfriend and I like to play some fun games or watch shows together when we’re bored on the phone. Recently we’ve been playing Roblox and Pokémon Go together while chatting on the phone. We also like to watch The Amazing World of Gumball while on FaceTime (setting the camera up is quite tricky!). Another activity we like to do online is take turns reading paragraphs of creepy Reddit stories. These activities are a bit corny but keeps the relationship fun and exciting! 

Stay positive and know long-distance is only temporary-

I would be lying if I said that it doesn’t get hard at times. It most definitely does. We all need a little reassurance sometimes. It is crucial to remind each other that you won’t be apart forever. Remind each other you will both stay strong and be patient because the day will come, and you will be reunited at last. Tell each other every day that you love them, miss them, appreciate them, and can’t wait to see each other again. Kind words go a long way when it comes to keeping a happy and healthy relationship. Realize this will be over soon. Whether it be weeks or months away, we will be reunited with our lovers and that day will be all worth the long wait! Keep your head up!

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.