Grocery Shopping Tips From the Budget-Friendly College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As a college student without a meal plan, buying groceries is something I have to do constantly. Following some of these tips and tricks might help lessen your financial burden and provide you with healthy meals for the whole squad. Trust me, your wallet will thank you!

1. Buy in bulk!

Buying items, like fresh meat or fish, in bulk, will cost more initially, but less in the long haul. Buy a family pack of your favorite meat or meat substitute at your local grocery store. Using freezer bags prelabeled with the date of packaging and the product, insert the desired amount of meat into bags. I usually store enough for one or two meals in a bag that way I have leftovers if I need them! Then, make sure to flatten the product as much as possible! Flattening the items will ensure that item thaw quickly and evenly when it is time to cook it off. It also makes for easier storage as everything can lay on top of one another.

2. Don’t buy for the brand!

Most of the time, store brand is just as tasty as brand name. Store brand items, or generic brands, are usually much cheaper than brand names. Take a minute to think about how expensive Doritos, Oreos, or Pepsi are. Do you really need that brand name product as a mixer for Friday nights, or can you opt out and purchase the 82 cent two liter of RC Cola instead? Generic seasonings and spices also have minimum differences in taste. Salt, sugar, and pepper are typically the same regardless of brand, unless you are looking for something specific for allergens. I always buy generic store brand pasta, which is between 30 cents and a dollar cheaper than brand name pastas. If you start buying generic, your wallet will thank you!

3. Shop the ads!

While you may have a favorite store you shop at, look online or in the newspaper to find any coupons, discounts, or deals you can take advantage of! I suggest getting a newspaper on Sunday and pulling out the store advertisements when you get back to your room. One store at a time, make a list of the coupons/prices offered for any items on your list. You will be surprised how many items are discounted each week and how steep the discounts are. I have to I personally work at a grocery store and some of our items are discounted by $1 or $2 dollars. I know this seems like a miniscule amount, but it truly adds up. And, if you don’t want to buy a physical paper, flipp is a great site to look up some of the ads in your town! Most stores have websites, which is another great place to find the weekly advertisements and discounts.

4. Shop The Discounts!

Make sure you are fully aware of any stores in your area that offer discounts to college students or students in general. I know in Scranton, Pennsylvania, Gerrity’s and GoodWill offer discounts to students. Between those two stores, you now have a discount on food, clothes, furniture, shoes, paper products, health and beauty needs, and other miscellaneous items. Other local coffee shops and small boutiques also offer discounts to college students as a way to get more foot traffic. So take advantage of it and go with your friends! Save a few bucks while getting the essentials!

I am an Early and Primary Childhood Education Major who loves to bake and paint. I also love writing books in my spare time.