kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everybody Has A Beach Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

For the most part, there’s nothing that can stop me from enjoying the beach. I live for lying in the sun and soaking up its warmth, for wading into the shallows, taking the last deep breath and ducking from an enormous wave before it crashes. To me, the beach is a worry-free zone.

This summer was different. I denied myself one of the things I enjoy the most because I didn’t think I had a “swimsuit-ready body.” However, I did have a kickass summer that consisted of four concerts and dates with my boyfriend, and my sister’s prom and graduation. But, I still look back on it during my classes and homework, and realized that my main goal to lose at least 10 pounds held me back.

I ran three to four times a week but fall off and do nothing the next week. I did jump rope and fitness workouts from YouTube, but inconsistently.  I felt so good during the workout and excited about progress, but then I’d get caught up hanging out with my friends and family that I didn’t have time to exercise everyday. This brought upon immense guilt. Since I felt guilty, I didn’t go to the beach from May until July. This behavior was so not like me. Then, after no progress and lack of motivation, I just sulked and tanned in my backyard. Until, one night after a deep conversation with my best friend, I realized that it doesn’t matter to her what I look like in a bathing suit. 

I felt so silly and was on the way to the beach with her the next morning, smiling in my Victoria Secret sky blue bikini. I finally made it back in my happy place. As I tanned on my towel, I saw women and men of all ages and body types enjoying themselves. Everyone was smiling with their loved ones, and not denying themselves or caring if anyone was watching them. That was so beautiful.

Although I’m disappointed that this year was my lowest record number of beach days, I learned a couple of important things. First, don’t let yourself be the biggest thing that holds you back. Second, always enjoy life (especially in the summer!) FInally, go out there and swim against the tide.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so