Candle And Flowers On Maps
Candle And Flowers On Maps
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Clean your life: A Collegiate’s Guide To Distressing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Whenever I’m stressed, I clean. I know – weird. Cleaning your dorm and your life can help bring you a sense of control and peace. Don’t know where to start? Don’t threat collegiates, I have some tips and tricks to help you get organized!

Say bye to toxic people & the things that remind you of them

Whether it’s an ex, an ex-roommate, or a toxic friend – remove them from your life. Block them on social media, and let that negative energy go. It’s not selfish to surround yourself with positive people who treat you like the queen you are. Get rid of pictures of them & items that remind you of them. If you’re not ready to cut all ties. Put their belongings in a box and put it out of sight. Even if you’re not ready to let go, the negative energy will not be in your space anymore.

Get rid of expired makeup and skincare

I literally cannot stress this enough. I totally get it, cosmetics are expensive. However, expired makeup is bad for your skin and can even lead to things like sties or a chemical burn. On every makeup and skincare there is a little circle with a number and then an m. That means after that many months after you open the product it is expired. If it’s expired, throw it away girl. 

Organize your clothes, shoes, and accessories

Go through your drawer & your closet and look at all your clothes. When looking at each item think about if you like it & if you actually use it. Even if you love it, if you don’t have any use of it put it a bag and bring it home for Easter break. It’ll declutter your wardrobe, help you organize, and give you room to bring in more pieces. Same process for jewelry and shoes. I know it sounds boring but channel your Marie Kondo and make it your therapy.

Get rid of the papers and assignments from last semester (unless you need them)

Unless you need them for future courses, go through all the old papers and notebooks in your desk and recycle. They’re honestly just taking up space and preventing you from organizing the desk and maximiz

Show row weights

1. Say bye to toxic people & the things that remind you of themRemove List Item

Listicle Item Title *  

Media

NO MEDIA 

EMBED USING URL 

SELECT AN IMAGE 

Textual Content      

Switch to plain text editor

More information about text formats

Text format Full HTMLFiltered HTMLOld Filtered HTMLPlain textMinimalSomewhat Minimal

2. Get rid of expired makeup and skincareRemove List Item

Listicle Item Title *  

Media

NO MEDIA 

EMBED USING URL 

SELECT AN IMAGE 

Textual Content      

Switch to plain text editor

More information about text formats

3. Organize your clothes, shoes, and accessoriesRemove List Item

Listicle Item Title *  

Media

NO MEDIA 

EMBED USING URL 

SELECT AN IMAGE 

Textual Content      

Switch to plain text editor

More information about text formats

4. Remove List Item

Listicle Item Title *  

Media

NO MEDIA 

EMBED USING URL 

SELECT AN IMAGE 

Textual Content      

bodyp Switch to plain text editor

More information about text formats

Listicle Items 

Closing Text Format               Source 

Switch to plain text editor

More information about text formats

Global tokens will be replaced with their respective token values (e.g. [site:name] or [current-page:title]).

Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

You may insert videos with [video:URL]

Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.

Legacy image tags are converted to point at new Amazon file location.

If you want to conclude your piece with more content after a series of listicle items, this field is for you!

ShowLocation

Vertical Tabs

Revision informationNew revision(active tab)

Scheduled actions

Authoring informationBy carly.long

Publishing optionsNot published

Revision informationRevision log message 

Provide an explanation of the changes you are making. This will help other authors understand your motivations.

ing your storage. Organize the ones you need to keep into folder based on their category and label them. You’ll increase your space & decrease your clutter.

The Obvious Stuff

Vacuum, wipe down objects and surface, do your laundry, dust, etc. etc. All the classic spring cleaning that can seem boring. But it does not have to be! Turn on some music and use it as a form of self care! Or better yet make it a collaborative effort with your roommate and pick a time to clean and listen to music. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.