This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Over the years, the way I have viewed mental health has changed for the better. It has taken me a long time to accept the fact that some issues can’t just be wished away, and that is the case with mental health issues. Many times, in high school I found myself down in the dumps and in a state of constant worry, but I would just tell myself that “everyone worries” and “everyone gets sad.” Going into college, my anxiety became even worse. I worry that I don’t have enough friends, don’t have good enough grades, and I won’t get into law school. While all of these worries are valid, I am learning that I don’t have to let them take over my every thought and it’s okay to seek help. 

I used to think that it was weird to talk about mental health and it should be kept to ourselves, but at the end of the day our brain is just another organ that needs to be taken care of. If someone broke an arm, they would go to the doctor and get it fixed with no problem. Our mental health needs to be prioritized the same way our physical health is. Recently, I have been more accepting of the fact that we cannot control how our mind works, and it’s okay not to be okay. My close friend, Alex, has been a big part of the reason why I can accept my own mental health issues more. I’ve never had a friend who normalized talking about mental health so openly. Being able to talk about mental health with my friends has made me feel less alone and allows me to accept my feelings. I would encourage everyone to surround themselves with people who let them share their feelings with no judgement. Overall, I am proud of myself for becoming more accepting of my mental health but would like to see society as a whole end the stigma.

A junior political science major with a legal studies concentration. I hope you enjoy my articles :)